How early can a baby be born to survive?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 12:25 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think the earliest a baby has ever been born and survived was 21 weeks...but that was considered a miracle and like a 1-time occurance. Usually they say around 24-26 weeks is earilest a baby can survive with extensive medical care and assistance for a long period of time.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:50 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I had a girlfriend that had her son 24 weeks into her pregnancy. He was in the NICU for three months. Had to be on oxygen for 9. Now he is a healthy happy little boy with no health issues. He is just small for his age. I think they considered themselves very lucky, that he turned out how he did.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:30 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I've heard as early as 24 weeks or 6 months. But they tend to have health problems. My girls were born at 32 weeks. There was a 24 week baby in the nicu who was just over a pound and 1/2. He made it but it was hard.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• As early as 26wks they CAN survive. They normally have alot of health problems & time in the NICU. It is not recommended unless an emergency.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 12:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Usually around 6 1/2 months,(25 weeks) a baby may be able to survive with assistance from a ventilator.im pretty sure the baby will be placed in the NICU until lungs are fully developed n can breathe on its own.
    LizNavarro

Answer by LizNavarro at 12:34 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• All those storeis are nice, but the doctors recommend that you not have a baby before 37 weeks. 37 weeks their lungs are still developing but they will be born mostly healthy. A healthy pregnancy lasts between 37 and 42 weeks. I know tis hard, try to wait as long as possible. In reality, the baby will come when she/he wants.
    Squeakette

Answer by Squeakette at 12:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2009