is my baby anemic?

a few months ago i took my son to the pediatrition because he was getting bruises in really weird places and he was just barely able to roll over so it wasnt from falling. i told my doctor that i was extremely anemic during pregnancy and that i thought my son might be too and asked if he could do a blood test and he told me that the bruises were from me pinching him! i have been looking online and he has alot of the symptoms such as being very pale, the whites of his eyes are slightly blue, bruising and when i took him to his last check up he had only gained 1 pound in 3 months and the doctor said it was no big deal. after seeing that he has the symptoms i feel like i should go back and push a blood test? any advice? does he sound like hes anemic?

maranda1389

Asked by maranda1389 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do a blood test. chances are though he would have been anemic from birth and they usually test for anemia in the first couple months especially if you were anemic during pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Insist on that test. It is a simple test that can be done in the office, and you should get the results within a minute after the finger is pricked. If the dr. continues to tell you that your ds doesn't need the test, get a 2nd opinion ASAP.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Are you breastfeeding? I'd be very surprised if a formula fed baby was anemic since formula has so much iron. I would go back to the doctor, or even consider trying a different doctor.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I would go to a different doctor and ask for a test.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Push it. If they refuse, find a different doctor. Babies don't bruise for no reason. It takes a good tumble for my son to bruise.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:30 AM on Jun. 30, 2009