HELP! 11 yr old and puberty...

So my little sister has had her period for 6mos now. What can I do to help her understand that she needs to keep herself (and her panties) clean? She leaves the same pad on all day and night if we don't stay on her about it, and leaves messy panties on the floor in her bedroom... She obviously doesn't care much for hygeine, she's going into the 6th grade, refuses to shave her legs, wear deodorant, brush her hair or her teeth. Overall, she's pretty much the stinky kid in class, and occasionally wears the same outfit 2 or 3 days in a row! We're not rich by any means, but we're not deprived.. we're clean and do bathe... we've got the washer and dryer to clean her clothes... but she just doesn't care! HELP!

matobe

Asked by matobe at 1:11 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• She isn't grossed out yet by what she is doing and needs to learn to take care of herself. I wouldn't force her to shave her legs, but deodorant, clean clothes, brushing of the teeth, and proper menstrual hygiene are very important. Just tell her that since she has started puberty, she isn't a little kid anymore and needs to take care of her growing body now so she will be healthy later. If she doesn't take care of her teeth she may not have them later in life and you only get one chance to take care of them while your young. If you don't, you can't reverse bad oral health except for dental work and even that can't fix all problems. As for the other things, strongly discuss with her how vital it is to take care of that. If she refuses to bathe or take care of her womanly needs, I would even resort to punishing her. It isn't sanitary to live like that way and she needs to become aware of this.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Poor kid is trying to rebel against nature. May be shes having some sort of pychological issue that needs to be address maybe talk to a school counselor?? Otherwise get her some books on puberty. Oh and if she likes to read theres a book - are you there god its me margret by judy blume that helped me come to terms with puberty. Its not relgious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• You'll have to gently, yet firmly, explain to her the problems and make sure she cleans herself daily and cares for her items properly.
    I have this same problem with my 15 year old and have to constantly stay on top of her. In fact, I threaten her that I will brush her teeth and scrub her body myself if she doesn't do it properly. Of course, she doesn't want that so she will do it. I wash her hair myself in the kitchen sink to be sure that it gets a good scrubbing. When she doesn't wrap her used pads and they fall on the bathroom floor I will take her by the hand, even it it is the middle of the night, and make her clean the whole bathroom. If any of her panties come down in the laundry full of blood (I've taught my girls to rinse them in the sink by hand first) then I throw them away.
    Of course, I'm her mom and have dealt with this for years.
    Your sister needs some teaching in the beginning with constant reminders.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:49 AM on Jun. 30, 2009