my son wont gain weight?

my son was small at birth (6.5 lbs) and i was not concerned about it but now at 9 months he only weighs 15 pounds, can barely fit into 3 month onsies and between his 6 month checkup and his 9 month check up he only gained 1 pound even though he eats like a HORSE! his very non chalant pedi says its fine but im beginning to wonder?

maranda1389

Asked by maranda1389 at 1:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get second opinion. How is he development-wise? Is he doing everything that he should? My son was 20 pounds by 6 months, but he was a bit chubby. My friend's daughter is mere 19 pounds at 13 months old.... but is on target developmentally. Every baby is different, it does not hurt to get second opinions though.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• However, if I recall correctly, they are only expected to double their birth weight by 6 months, and triple or almost triple by a year old. I think he's alright. My LO was 8lbs at birth... 20 by 6mo, 25 by 1 yr.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:37 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• my son was 5lbs 1oz at birth and at his 9 month check up he was 15lbs 4oz. He eats all day also but you need to consider how active your sone is, because he is burning up the calories crawling/walking and playing. His dr has weighed him every month since he was born, because he was so lil when he was born.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 1:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Oh just to throw it in there my cousin had an 8lb baby who is 14 months and barely weights 20lbs and is only 29inches long.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 1:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My 7lbs 7oz daughter (oldest dd) was 15 lbs at a year and she was exclusively bf. If you are nursing it may just be that he is small. My oldest son was fed formula from 3 mos on and he was just 18lbs at a year so there wasn't really that big of a difference, but enough that we noticed. Even my son who was 9lbs 6oz at birth was only 19lbs at a year so he is still in the range of normal. If your ped is not worried you likely shouldn't be either. They tend to worry about growth issues more than they should so not worrying means there's probably nothing wrong.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:50 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My 8 lb newborn was only 16 lbs at a year old. Both of my children grew well at first then slowed way down the second half of their first year, my daughter was just more extreme. I think it's just how some babies grow.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2009