Take the job?

My husband and I had to move back with my parents for financial reasons. He has been in college studying criminal justice, and just applied for some on call jobs. If he gets them, which he probablly will because he scored 100% on the application, we will have to move 60 miles away. We have no money to move with, and he wouldnt have gauranteed hours, it would just be when they called him. I dont know what to do. Would you accept this job or stay with the parents til a steady job came closer to home? The pay would be great, and we could survive easy if he worked 30-40 hours a week but they arent for sure, it could be only ten hours a week....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• The on-call nature of the job makes me say if he takes it, DON'T MOVE. A 60-mile commute isn't a heck of a lot of fun...but it's completely doable. (Remembering that I live in SoCal where long commutes are the norm.)

Let him get settled into it and figure out just what the hours will be like, then decide.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• cant he drive back and forth for a while until you get settled in and find a place, keep living with your family and go from there, my boyfriend used to have to drive everyday 2 and a half hours each way to work and be home every night until he got a steady job . his friends still have to work like that. its construction work and you gotta go where the money is, , sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, good luck
    momupnorth

Answer by momupnorth at 8:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Let him drive back and forth until you save enough for 3 months of expenses like rent, utilities. Then you can move. That way even if he has several weeks of 10hr/wk, you won't be in the same situation again and moving back home.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• i agree with the girls above ...60 miles isnt that far to drive. it a real pain but not really that far. if hes going to work 10 hour days, thats good to. he gets it over with instead of dragging it out...everyday. that way he feels like hes accomplishing something. he will be a really tired bugger when he gets home...so if i was you id have him a bath drawn, with a nice back rub & his dinner plate waiting on him. id pamper him to let him know just how much you appreciate him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Do the job until you get caught up and then move.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 10:25 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I agree, take the job and commute. 60 miles is not far. I commuted that myself when I lived in NY and worked in NJ.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 4:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2009