My Daughter Hates Her Crib

She's almost 6 months old, and my mom and I were finally able to afford a crib for her. But she hates not sleeping with me, which I completely understand, but it is dangerous for her to be on my bed while she's becoming so mobile. So, she now has to sleep in her crib. How can I make the transition easier for her?

Call-Me-Mommy

Asked by Call-Me-Mommy at 1:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all she doesn't HAVE to sleep in her crib. My son is 14 months and still sleeps with me, he has a beautiful crib but he only occasionally uses it for naps if you want to still co-sleep you should just buy some bed bumpers. However if you feel the need to have her sleep in a crib that is completely understandable. Begin by putting her to sleep and then putting her in the crib, after a while of doing this then begin putting her in her crib when she's just a tiny bit awake, after doing this for a while then put her in her crib a little more awake.Every couple of days put her in her crib a little more awake until she gets comfortable with her crib and you can just place her in there and she falls asleep. For a little baby going from falling asleep cuddled with your mommy each night to being put in your bed by your self is scary. Be patient with her and ease her into it so she doesn't develope night time anxiety.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• well i have no clue with that, my sons had a crib since birth and refuses to be in it for naps or bed. He will scream. now that he can pull himself up i'm afraid he'll fall out. He still co-sleeps with me, and i haven't had problems with him falling out of bed or anything.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 1:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Get a breathable bumper to put in there with her, I did this with my kids, it helped them feel like they werent just out in the open. It will take some time for her to adjjust to actually having to sleep on her own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Try putting the crib in your room if you want her to transition to it. Put her down for some naps and after nursing at bedtime. Give her toys to play with - nothing that is a stuffed toy, just small plastic things. This will make it a more desireable place to her and she can begin to fall asleep alone after playing then. Or you could get a bedside rail from Walmart to put on your bed and leave her there if you aren't really ready for her to move.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2009