Is it ok for teachers to shout RELIGIOUS COVICTIONS so they dont have to teach awareness of homosexuality ?

Ok I seen on the news today that a local county wants to start teaching tolerance of homosexuality in their schools and the teachers are refusing it and fighting it saying that it is against their religiousconvictions.Come on,what I think is so funny is that alot of these teachers probably never go to church and arent even religious but yet as soon as a subject like this may be brought into the schools they have convictions.

Do you think its right for people to shout religious convictions when they dont want to do something ?

4mom247

Asked by 4mom247 at 1:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Much like the Christian pharmacist who doesn't want to fill a prescription for BC pills (for religious reasons)...

...the teacher who doesn't want to teach tolerance and kindness toward ALL people (for religious reasons)...

...was hired to DO A DAMN JOB! 

And if s/he doesn't want to DO THEIR DAMN JOB...s/he should seek employment elsewhere.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I do not think we should have to give up our religious convictions to teach about sexual preference, when it goes against every fiber of our being. If we cant talk about religious preference, we surely shouldnt be forced to talk about sexual preference. Sex should NOT be taught in school PERIOD! And yes Im going anon because I dont need the anti-conservative, religious stalkers drama.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Yes. Why should someone be forced to teach something they don't believe in? I agree sex shouldn't be taught in school.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:46 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• See my point is really the abuse of religious convictions when its going to benefit the person.You can guarantee that every teacher isnt a christian,but may disagree with homosexuality so the SCREAM convictions !!! I dont have a problem with a true christian fighting for their convictions its the people who use religion as an excuse and a way to get out of doing things.
    4mom247

Answer by 4mom247 at 1:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• The seperation of church and state says that they can't say anything or preach about religion. I want to be a teacher and would have no problem talking about sexuality. In fact, I'm going to be a sex ed teacher. I know there's alot of stuff I wouldn't want to teach, but would If my job depended on it.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 1:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Honestly I think schools should teach sex ed because alot of the problem with teen pregnancy is that they arent taught at home.Someone should be teaching them about STDs & teen pregnancy.As for homosexuality,no matter how much people disagree with it,its here and its not going anywhere and kids need to be taught the right way so that there may be less hate crimes.I mean people take peoples lives because of who they love,its crazy.
    4mom247

Answer by 4mom247 at 1:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Above when I said taught the right way,I meant how to react to it even if they may not agree with it.They should still have respect for the other person.
    4mom247

Answer by 4mom247 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Yes a teacher has every right to refuse to do something against their religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• For the anonymous above me,say a teacher doesnt believe in having a black president,should it be ok that they refuse to teach the part of our history where we voted in our fist black president. People scream RELIGIOUS CONVICTIONS all the time when it comes to race.

People change their religious beliefs around to more suit them,they can change on a daily basis. One day they will believe one thing then something else the next.
    4mom247

Answer by 4mom247 at 2:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I have to agree that a teacher has every right to not teach something because it is against their religious convictions, but I think they need to be prepared for two things. That they will be replaced with a teacher that does, or they will be given a week of unpaid vacation while a teacher that has no problem teaching tolerance to homosexuality comes in and teaches the class. In addition I think any parent that does not want their children present should be able to remove them without any consequences to the child's grades.
    Religious conviction is an important thing but how strongly are individuals willing to stand up for it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2009