Paranoid of Earthquakes (and more)

Ever since I had my daughter, I've become super paranoid, which is pretty normal. I'm afraid of earthquakes (I live in California) and other natural disasters. I'm afraid of kidnapping, disease, and so on. I want to be able to protect my daughter! Any tips on what I should do in case of an earthquake? I mean, where do I go, my bed? What should I have prepared? How should I keep my daughter safe? If you know any good sites to visit, that would be helpful too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I think it's cute that you're paranoid, but you'll go crazy at some point. LOL I think every parent has considered a natural disaster at some point (especially since Katrina and 9/11) and it's ALWAYS good to have a first aid kit on hand and a natural disaster kit on hand, depending on where you live (earthquake, hurricane, tornado, etc). But without making you more paranoid, I think every day dangers like "not talking to strangers," "not running into the street," fire safety, etc may be more helpful to you and your children. There are a few books that help teach kids about everyday dangers and safety. Get them and read them to your child(ren). :)
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 12:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Everything you need to know, right here: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learning/preparedness.php

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2009