for how long can i continue to give karo syrup to my 6 week old?

she was prescribed with it by her pediatrician for constipation, now i think i found the right milk for her which is similac alimentum, now she poops every other day without the help of glycerin suppositories but i was wondering if i still need to keep giving her the syrup so she will be regular?

Asked by maryfer at 2:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• On alimentum (or the equivalent Nutramigen) she should not need it. You should stop giving it. Another easily digested alternative is goat's milk. It digests like breast milk so it is easy on their tummies. A friend's ENT told her to give it to her son and I currently supplement my youngest with it. Walmart carries it in cans (add equal amounts of water) and it can also be found in the cold section of some groceries.

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:26 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Stop the Karo now. It presents a botulism risk, per the maker.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:30 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• call her dr to the dr or nurse tell them why she was percribed the karo syrup and that now she is going every other day with out the help of it, do you need to continue? they dont mind the questions at all that is what they are there for and why they get paid.

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Your doctor needs to start reading or updating his ways because Karo syrup is a HUGE botulism risk. Botulism spores CAN be present in Karo and even the makers state that it should not be used in infants. Botulism in an infant is deadly!!

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• She shouldn't be on milk, she needs to be on formula. Do not give goat's milk because it does not have all the nutrients that a baby needs.

You can continue the Karo syrup as long as it is necessary, but should try to give just the special formula without it. I had one on Karo syrup the entire time he was on formula.

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• my daughter was perscribed that and it messed up her stomach and hurt her.

Answer by sara1983 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 30, 2009