Question about my 15 year old and music

He has an amazing ear for music he self taught the gutair and the piano. I want him to take formal lesson I think he could be brillant,

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• take him to lessons.....
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:02 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Ask him if he wants lessons.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 3:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I'd tell him to SHUT UP and turn the damn tv on!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• If he likes the lessons that could be good, but sometimes teachers are more restraining that helping when it comes to a gifted or talented child. You could just provide him with lots of time to invest in creating his own music. That may be more beneficial than lessons unless you know a great teacher who is open-minded.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I have the same problem, while my 10 year old sits here on YouTube with his guitar trying to find free lessons on how to play a certain song, I wish I could take him to formal lessons. I am planning on paying for a month in advance in August and see if it helps him even more.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• His grandparents have offered to pay for his lessons because right now that is a luxury sadly right now we can not afford

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• yah i'd also ask him if he wants lessons but i wouldn't force it because that could make him lose his love for music
    iamhome

Answer by iamhome at 3:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• talents is said to be inborn when you find it at the very young age....as a parent we try to discover our kids abilities and what passion they are into...surely your 15yo would be delighted to hear from you if you would tell him to enroll in a formal lesson....encouraging kids into music develops their loves in art and music as well as their discipline and sense of values in life!
    Good luck!
    jayzs

Answer by jayzs at 4:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Didn't you answer your own question? You said you want to take him, so take him!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think he should be given the opportunity to blossom in his talent and expand his skills.
    If you cannot afford the lessons - I think you said his grandparents would pay? - perhaps you can speak to the school music teacher about low-cost private lessons. Perhaps you can find an instructor who would be willing to bargain lesson times in exchange for perhaps yard work, housecleaning, errands run, etc., because they are so busy with their other students that they probably don't have time for such things.
    Anyhow, I'm sure you can find a way to make it happen. I'm glad you recognize the talent in your son and want to encourage it. That is one of the greatest gifts a parent can give to their child.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:46 AM on Jun. 30, 2009