WHY does my dog kill and eat birds?!?

I feed my dog regularly, so he isn't malnurished... and he is a Blue Heeler, a herding breed. He isn't just killing to kill...because he does eat the whole bird. Could he be lacking a vitamin?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 3:02 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Pets

• She wasn't asking about destructive dogs, she was asking about a dog that kills and eats birds.

I think he does it because he can--it's an unusual ability for a dog. Most dogs will chase birds, but most can't catch them. He eats them because, again, that's what dogs do. They hunt and catch prey, then they have a fresh, warm hunk of meat--they eat it. Since he is eating wild prey he catches, you might ask your vet about worms and parasites he may contract.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:45 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• When my yorkie was younger, we would find decapitated birds all over. Dogs are very territorial and natural hunters.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My border collie used to do the exact same thing. She was never aggressive towards any other animals or people, just birds....and now that I think of it squirrels that would come in the yard. She did catch and kill a few, but we would take them from her whenever possible. We were told that it was pretty normal, but to keep an eye on her for disease, etc.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 11:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Part of it is the breed. (I own a mixed breed Heeler too.) They're herding animals, but Heelers also have wild Dingo in their blood, and they possess natural hunting instincts. It may take some serious training to break your dog's habit, but it can be done.
    Intrepid

Answer by Intrepid at 12:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• This is natural.

People seem to forget that dogs became domesticated by humans. Before, they were just wild dogs, just like you would see a deer or a wolf.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Because you can't manage to contain your dog or your birds?
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 4:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Dogs will be dogs. The bird is his treasure. He found it and he wants to keep it. LOL... Cute...
    IheartWyatt09

Answer by IheartWyatt09 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• every pet that i have had in my whole life, has found a bird (or mouse if it was a cat) outside and has brought it in the house to show me. its like a present. its gross but very cute.

what was not cute, was the fact that my cat brought a mouse to me that was still alive and somehow got back in the house with it and i spent a week setting traps to catch it. lol. all the other mice he brought from outside was already dead or didnt have a head. lol
    Anonymous_J

Answer by Anonymous_J at 11:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Its the breed and the fact that he's a dog. I know it's gross but he is an animal after all. Our cats like to leave us dead birds and mice in the yard. GROSS. lol.
    Anonymous

• please let me know if u get a good answer! im down 2 conures lol!
    emvee

Answer by emvee at 4:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2013