• In the Spotlight:

question about formula and baby food

I am 37 weeks pregnant, and goin to be a first time mom, and have 2 ques. one of them is about bottle feeding, i chose to bottle feed and was just wondering what type of formula u r suppose to use? like does the doctor tell u what kind or can u pick, i wanted to start my son out on similac, would that be allowed, and does anyones kid use that is it good? and at what age do u usually start your baby on baby food?? i know these are typical questions and i should know but i just dont. Thankss for ur answers!

JAiDENSM0MMY

Asked by JAiDENSM0MMY at 3:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can choose a formula to start with. If you want to use Similac that should be ok. Most hospitals have samples that they use. Yours may use Enfamil. If so you should be able to switch to Similac without trouble once baby is home. They are all very similar and made with certain standards. The only reason you would need a soy or hypoallergenic formula would be if the baby showed signs of allergies to the regular formulas - excessive spitting up or a constantly runny/stuffy nose for example. Then you would need to switch to Isomil or Alimentum (or the equivalent in the other namebrands).

Another more natural alternative is goat's milk. It is sold in cans (has to be mixed equally with water like concentrated formula) and digests very quickly and easily like breast milk. It is very well tolerated by infants and is a great choice for healthy infants.

Babyfoods - 4-6 months, beginning with rice cereal fed with a spoon.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 4:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Similac is a good formula, the choice is really up to you. As far as baby food goes some people will tell you not to start solids until they are 6 months but every baby is different. For some formula is enough and for some it's not. I started my first son on rice cereal at 10 days old because he was going through an 8 oz bottle every 2 hours and the rest of my kids at 1 or 2 months and they were all eating fruits and veggies by 3 months. The most important thing to remember is you do what you feel is best for your child.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• thankk u guys so much, that was really helpful.
    JAiDENSM0MMY

Answer by JAiDENSM0MMY at 4:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Similac is good! We started our dd on enfamil but switched to Similac later and it worked better! Plus it was the only one covered by WIC. Otherwise, foods, we started at 3.5 months but they say between 4-6. I just felt my dd was ready for it and didn't give her a lot or anything but she loved it! When your child comes you will have a better idea of what she is ready for and everything. Your dr will also help with those kinds of things and explain what to do at certain months. CONGRATS!!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• When I delivered my son In March, the hospital started him on Enfamil but realized he wasnt able to tolerate it when we got home, So the doctor told us to put him on Enfamil Nutramigen, and hes been doing great with it. With the rice cereal, he will start this when hes 4 months old. With wic you can get Enfamil Nutramigen.
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• you are so funny, not everyone knows the answer to these questions. I started my son off on similac and it made him constipated so I ended up switching him to enfimil gental easy. So I really think that it is a lot of trial and error. Also my son was a huge spitter and I mean huge. You can also ask your dr. and when you are in the hospital they will give you samples.
    I started my son on baby food at 4 months and plan on doing the same thing with my next taht is due the end of july. I think most people start later than that, but the dr said 4 months was okay.
    thenewmum

Answer by thenewmum at 12:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2009