I am currently 35 weeks 5 days. I am due to be enduced at 37 weeks 5 days because I am a have a v-bac (had a previous c-section and will be having attempting a natural birth) I just want to make sure that my baby will be healthy and not have to be in NICU.

I know that at 37 weeks a baby is considered full term but what are the chances of something being wrong? I am already dilating and almost all the way thinned out and am very nervous. I am having horrible contractions and have had a problem with pre term labor several times..My first baby I also had a problem with pre term labor but not near as bad as with this one. My first went all the way to her due date and was born healthy at 8lbs 2 oz 21 in long....

mommie2princess

Asked by mommie2princess at 4:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• there is small chance most babies at 37 weeks tho dotn go to NICU
    but even 40 + weeks they can end up there sometimes good luck nad congrat s
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Just try to relax and make it the next 2 weeks. At 37 weeks baby really should be ok. Even now baby could just check in nicu and be able to leave right away if it was born. My best friend has had 6/8 preterms and the ones born earliest were not the ones who spent the most time in there. It really just depends on the baby itself. What you need to focus on most right now tho is relaxing and making it as long as you can. Then let the docs worry about the rest. And if baby goes to nicu at this point it would be for hours or a couple of days - not weeks and months like teeny tiny premies do.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 5:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Is there a reason for the induction? If not, I would personally wait until the baby decides to arrive on his own. Induction increases the risk for repeated c-section, uterine rupture, and distress. When you go in labor when your body and the baby is ready, you have a better chance of having successful vbac. I was induced and had to be c-sectioned. However, it's your choice. Just make sure you educate yourself. At 37 weeks, I think your baby will be fine. There is a chance he/she will have to stay in the NICU due to breathing/eating immaturity. But that's a very slim chance.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 8:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• 37 weeks is full term. Most babies born at 35, 36, and 37 weeks spend only a few days or even a few hours in the NICU. Unless there is a reason for the induction I would ask them to hold off until 38 weeks or even 39 weeks to see if the baby will come on it's own.
    Noeymom2be

Answer by Noeymom2be at 9:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• i agree w/ the other pps. but, i would hold off on the induction, esp since you've had a previous c/s. you're more likely to have another one if you do get induced. and inductions are hard on the baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I agree with a few of the other Mom's...I would hold out on the induction and see if this baby decides to come on it's own, if there isn't a medically necessary reason to induce you, I would definately wait to see if the baby decides to come on it's own...especially since you said you're already dilating and thinning out...which means your body is gearing up.

Good Luck Momma.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2009