Cloth diapers!! I am SO confused by all these different options!

I am definitely interested in having a go at cloth diapers. I was a cloth diapered baby, and I've always wanted to go with that option before I was even pregnant.
Here's the problem. I am absolutely MYSTIFIED!
I just want... basic prefolds. Not the AIO's - even though that's a little "wth" for me. :S
Then my mom was telling me that you'll absolutely need diaper covers. She started going into detail about the different sizes, different types of diaper pins, different materials, possibly making my own...

So. What do you mothers recommend? Where can I get diaper covers? Do you prefer bleached or unbleached prefolded cloths?
I have a 12 month old, kind of on the small side 23.5 pounds and 31 inches long. He's pretty long and lean. What size would that make him?

Please help! I want your opinions, advice, etc. Thanks!

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 5:07 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.thediaperhyena.com/diaper_folding101.htm
    http://www.softclothbunz.com/Cloth-diaper-folding_ep_110-1.html
    there some links i found useful an i you might want to try looking online for covers there some times hard to find nice 1s.
    I love this site ive bought alot of the one size pocket diapers they are amazing
    http://www.diapersetc.com/
    redivy

Answer by redivy at 5:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Wow! All that in this little space?
    I use different kinds. I use bleached DSQ prefolds with Bumpkins covers for my older one. I use Gerber flatfolds with pins and Gerber pants or Bumpkins covers (no pins) for my newbies til near 6 months. I also use Fuzzi Bunz covers with hemp, flannel, or terry cloth inserts. I have some of these in all sizes. They are really my "fab" diapers altho I like the "regular"ones fine too. I use the bag made by fuzzi bunz for a dry pail. I put tea tree oil on the strip inside to disinfect and keep down odors. I wash them every 2-3 days in hot water, tide, and (shhhh!) bleach. Then I do a second rinse in warm water with 1/2 tsp of tea tree oil. I dry them in the dryer - except for the covers. I also make wipes from flannel blankets and wash cloths. I make my own mix for washing them off too. Any more questions, you're welcome to ask me directly.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 5:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I did a lot of fitted diapers (not AIO) with wool diaper covers or pants/shorts that I made myself. The wool is easy to do. I would get a bunch of sweaters at the second hand store for about $4 each and use the arms to make pants and the body of the sweater to make a cover. Many free patterns online. I also would use unbleached chinese prefolds folded in thirds in a tight fitting PUL cover when we were going out in public as they weren't as bulky that way.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• wal mart has pretty much everything youll need for pre fold cloths. I do recomend pocket diapers though... theyre great and such simpler
    pinkfanta1

Answer by pinkfanta1 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• o and you should try joining a cloth diapering group. cuties with cloth booties is great!!!
    pinkfanta1

Answer by pinkfanta1 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2009