Separation anxiety

My son just recently turned one-years-old this month. I use to be able to leave him with family members for a few hours if I had to run out and take care of a few things. The same for leaving him at my gym daycare. Now that he is one, he freaks out, screams and cries, if I am not in his site. I am no longer able to bring him to my gym daycare because of the way he carries on - they end up pulling me out of my aerobic class because of his actions. I cannot even sit in another room at home without him throwing a fit. I thought this usually happens around the age of two??? Is this normal? If so, how do I get him to learn to sometimes do things without mommy and that mommy sometimes needs to do things on her own without him? I am a SAHM, so I am not sure if this adds to the situation since I am all he knows. Daddy owns his own business and usually works 15 hour days and weekends and travels often.

Asked by Theresa2674 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is like that too it is a faze and books says that they will grow out of it. were there mommies, they love us and just want to know that we are there . My son oh man I cant go into the kicthen and he is walking in there. I mean they will always want to be near us, right now they are so aware of themselves and us being seperate beings that they may get confused and not know if we are coming back , so we have to reassure them and let them know we will be back soon. God Bless

Answer by ISAIAHMOM632007 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• This comes and goes for years, they just change the name to homesickness for older kids. Keep trying.

At home, make certain you tell him where you are going and that you will be right back. Let him follow you if he wants to.

Drop the class at the gym BUT take him to the care center everyday, tell him you are going to class and will be back soon. Then sit outside the door for 5 minutes. When you go back in, say, in a happy voice, "Mommy's back! Did you miss me? I missed you and am so happy to see you." After a few days, make it 10 minutes. Once he's over this bout, you can rejoin your class. Make sure you discuss your plan with the employees first.

No matter what you do, NEVER leave him without saying goodbye. Many parents do this hoping the child will be having so much fun that they never notice the parent is gone. They DO notice, they DO cry, and they will no longer trust you to not disappear anytime, anywhere, with no warning. This “

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2008