b/f moms-should i be concerned

I'm so lucky to have a 5 week old who sleeps thru the night a few nights per week! The only downside to it is that on those mornings my boobs are so engorged and painful! But last night she slept thru and when she woke up my boobs weren't rock hard or hurting. During the day she eats frequently-like every 2 hours, I think she's cluster feeding-so why didn't my boobs hurt today? Am I making less milk or is my body just regulating itself better now?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 7:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its just regulating itself. As you progress in you breast feeding you wont have engorgement anymore....or at least I didnt. I guess my body just got it all together and figured out how and when to make milk.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:20 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• sounds like its regulatinfg
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 7:20 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Sounds like your body is just regulating itself. I am still nursing my 25 month old and I also work full time. At about 13 months she refused to take pumped milk while I was gone so I slowly quit pumping. I nurse just before I leave for work and when I get home and do not feel engorged at all while at work! Now be prepared in a month or so for the sleeping through the night to stop. Around 3 months they have a growth spurt and will be nursing constantly then!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:37 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It's regulating itself, my baby cluster feeds too and i used to wake up with painfull engorged breasts, but after a couple of weeks it went away. She sleeps through the night too and has started doing it at 3-4 weeks!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:37 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I agree with everyone else... just regulating
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:22 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It's just regulating itself. Consider it a breakthrough! I remember the first time my baby slept 8 hours, I actually had to get up and pump after she ate because even her eating didn't do much for them. Then a few weeks later when she was sleeping through the night regularly, I got up one morning (same as you) and they weren't rock-hard or hurting at all. And then for the past week she started waking up at 3:00-4:00 in the morning again, so this morning when she slept the whole night my boobs were fairly engorged because they'd gotten used to an extra feeding. Basically, your boobs work on your baby's schedule; if she doesn't normally eat at a certain time, then they'll get the message and not over-produce milk during that time. But if she starts eating then again, they'll start making more milk for that feeding again. Supply and demand. Be grateful. :-)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Just regulating- nothing to be worried about. Whenever you do feel "full" and you wake before baby does- whenever this would happen to me-- I would take advantage of the situation and pump some milk to stash in the freezer. I'm a SAHM and nurse on demand (I don't look at the clock at all but I probably offer her the breast at least once an hour) so I don't get much chance to pump for my freezer stash.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 7:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2009