How do I get my son to swallow a pill?

My son recently got prescribed a medication that comes in pill form. not the chewable kind. He is four and up til now he has always got the liquid. He has to take the pill everyday, and he ends up chewing it, which is not pleasant for him. I have tried putting it in pudding, because I thought it would be easier to swallow. He still chews it, then cries. He hates taking the pill now and it turns in to a half hour ordeal every morning, he spits it out, cries, or chews it up. Any helpful hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

dustinsmom0113

Asked by dustinsmom0113 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My mother used to grind up pills & put them in jelly, applesauce, peanut butter or oatmeal. I hated taking the pills, but having it mixed up in a spoonful of something yummy made it easier. Just make sure you break it up & grind it very well so he can't taste, feel, or see it. Pills can be very bitter & disgusting. You can buy a pill grinder at any pharmacy or Wal-Mart for cheap.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I am not sure what the pill is for, but I can tell you that my son whom is 5 has always had liquid as well ,doesn't know how to swallow a pill ethier. He has an ADHD med to take everyday and I had to call and get a differnt one that comes in a capsule. I open the capsule and sprinkle the powder on a spoonful of yogurt or appelsauce every morning and it is perfect for us. So maybe ask if there is a capsule for your perscription.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Some pills and capsules shouldn't be chewed or opened and mixed in food. Call the pharmacist before doing of this and find out, you can also ask if there is an easier to take form. I'd tell the child to put the pill on his tongue and drink a glass of water, telling him to let the water wash the pill down his throat.

Answer by Bmat at 9:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Call your pediatrician and ask him to prescribe a liquid. Or buy a pill crusher. Or if it's a capsule open it. Then put it in applesauce. I put everything in applesauce for my kids when they were little. It worked every time.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Have him practice with M&Ms

Answer by rkoloms at 12:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Or TicTacs...he can practice with TicTacs.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2009