Does mange stay in the yard where an infected dog was?

I rescued a sweet puppy off the highway and brought it home with the intention of taking it to the shelter on Monday. It was way too young to be weaned and someone had just dumped it...so mean! Anyways, within the first couple of days we wormed him (his belly was huge and wouldn't go down) and then discovered that the was losing his hair. We found out that he had mange, and we took him to a shelter yesterday. Now I am being told that once you have an animal with mange, the area they were will "keep mange" on it??? Hard to put in the right words, but he was in the back yard...does that mean my kids can't go outside and play back there? I kept the kids away once I found out he had mange, but now I am worried...what if he already infected them? Will I ever be able to have a pet back there? I would love any advice!! Thanks!

simplelife4me

Asked by simplelife4me at 9:21 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Pets

• there are two forms of mange. one is highly contagious and can be spread to humans. because you never found out which type it was you can now never be sure. more than likely because it was a puppy that had mange it was the form that was transmitted through the mothers bloodstream and not contagious. i wouldn't worry about it, mange is everpresent just about everywhere. its usually the dogs weak immune system that brings on the occurrence. my recent adoptee has mange, but you would never know it. now that she is healthy and not stressed by living a stray, it has gone into remission.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• it sounds like the dog has sarcoptic mange if they told you it was contagious- my dog has demodectic mange that only pops up when she gets hives (she's allergic to grass, and the hives cause stress to her skin obviously). sarcoptic mange in dogs translates into scabies for humans, but demodectic mange is not contagious to humans. you might want to notify your children's doctor that they may have had contact with the mange, and ask about what to look for on their skin and how to keep them safe from it. deep cleaning the house with bleach if you are able to should help a ton. i wouldn't worry about the back yard though. i would imagine the bugs want something to feed off of, and with no animals back there (after you drop off the pup at the shelter) they'll go somewhere else or die. if you are really worried anyway, you could contact an exterminator and talk to them about it.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• hmm which type? Sarcoptic or demodectic? Our dog had dem, she got meds for her and she cleared up in about 6 weeks. Vet said nothing about treating the yard or anything else.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2009