No easy way to ask this! Does a stay-at-home-mom have a plan to take care of her family if her husband dies suddenly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Thats a big problem, unless there is a big insurance policy out and a 401K, a stay at home mom would be screwed financially. I went back to school for that very reason. My sister lost her husband, luckily she had a job at my Nieces school AND my Brother in Law had a couple of good insurance policy's to make sure that she and my niece would be taken care of. My hub has an insurance policy and a 401K, but without a job my kids wouldn't have insurance. So I went back to school and finished, so that way if something were to happen to my husband, I could take care of my kids
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I would have to move back up near my family. We live a couple hours from all family right now so if my SO passed away I'd have no choice but to go back home. I'd probably move near my parents into one of their apartments so I wouldnt have to pay any rent & get a part time job to pay my other bills while having my sister & mom babysit my DD. That would be my only choice at that point.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Yes. I have a degree and a support system (close knit family and friends) plus life insurance. Just because we stay at home doesn't mean we are incompetent or uneducated.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I've been meaning to ask this to my dh. We have life insurance but I haven't talk to my husband about the details. He was talking about a will the other day but nothing specific. I don't know I sometimes think that that we are going to be young forever but it's time for my reality check!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Just because we stay at home doesn't mean we are incompetent or uneducated.

I don't think anyone feels that way, however, with the way the economy is now, even with a degree it is hard to find a job anywhere! I have a B.S. in Business Administration and I can't find a job anywhere! I live in a rural place so it's even harder than if I lived in a city or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My Dh has a very good insurance policy through Military which is a half a million dollars, as well as other investments I can draw income from. We have wills and everything planned out in the case of either of our deaths. Right now we are stationed away from family, over 3 hrs, so I would probably move closer to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• we both have wills, my husband is military so he has life insurance, and i'm going back to school in the spring to get a degree in education, and depending on if we lived near family at the time, i'd move closer to family that way i would have some built in help.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:37 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• We have life insurance, my husband's penion, a retirement fund, my husband's insurance (which I would be continued to be covered through) and savings. My husband also donates to several organizations that I am aware of that assist the wives and children of deceased firefighters.

I also have a degree and professional experience which I maintain by actively staying up-to-date in my field and volunteering. I have a close-knit support system that I know would help take care of us if need be.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• i could get by for about a year on his insurance money, but i would move into the same town as my parents/family. they would watch the kids for me while i worked...

i ahve a fall abck career i let my liscence go into inactive, but all i have to do is take a test to get it back
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:07 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Of course we have a plan. If my husband died I would live off the substantial trust fund I have. He also has 2.5 million in life insurance. Our home and vacation home are fully paid for as are the cars. I would be just fine. I only stay home because we can afford it with no struggle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2009