Calling all homeschoolers-what curriculum is best?

We have just decided to homeschool our 8 and 10 yr olds. They have been in public school and doing well academically but we aren't happy w/evolution being treated as fact, sex education (already!!), bullies influence, etc.. We are christian and believe children need socialization as well as education but now feel we are doing more harm than good in public school. Plus, we have met several families that homeschool and were impressed (not what you hear or see in the media at all!) Anyway, I am 8 months pregnant and don't have a teaching degree so I was hoping to get some ideas what curriculum you experienced moms would suggest. My dd is going into 5th, an avid reader and very social but hates math. My son is going into 3rd grade and terrible at spelling but really gets excited about science and hands-on projects. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Mickey37

Asked by Mickey37 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't use a curriculum, but I can tell you that if you ask 100 different homeschoolers this question, you're likely to get 100 different answers. Every family is different, every child is different and what works for one won't work for many others. I'd suggest you join one of the homeschool groups here on CM, give them some info about what types of things are really important to your family, how your children like to learn, etc. and you'll probably find some families that have similar values and maybe even similar learning styles. It will at least give you a place to start and help you narrow down your choices. Good luck!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:34 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I create my own curriculum right now. I will be exploring a few prepacked ones soon though including Son Light and Abeka.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I used to work for this curriculum resource (http://logospressshop.com/). It's a collection of curriculum all written/compiled by teachers at Logos School. I don't have first hand experience teaching it, but I can say that I graduated from the high school there and have found the education I received to be invaluable. I could give you the whole spiel on why I think classical education is the way to go, but I think it would take too long, so instead I'd suggest reading The Lost Tools of Learning by Dorothy Sayers (available online here http://www.logosschool.com/?page_id=263) to get an idea of the reasoning behind classical education. Like the first poster said, every family is different and different curriculum works better for some than others, but I'd encourage you to read the essay just to get a feel for the philosophy behind it. Grab a glass of iced tea and put your feet up for a bit and give it a read. ;)
    busyizzybsmom

Answer by busyizzybsmom at 12:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2009