Utility Bill?

I have an unpaid utility bill from my old residence in a different city. (I had roommates & they flaked out on me & left me w/ the debt & it's in my name.) I am planning on moving soon. When I get the utilities cut on at the new residence, will they look at the unpaid bill? Will it keep me from getting my utilities cut on at the new residence?

I think it's $150. It was turned over to a collection agency, but I had other things to pay for & I eventually just forgot about it. But now that I'm moving, it came to my attention.

If it will effect me, I can just pay it off. (Which I should just do anyway.) But if not, I'll just hold off. So do they look at things like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yes, the usually look at open things in your credit;especially utilities. If it comes up, just say,"Oh, I will go get it taken care of and bring in proof i paid it!" Then have the company fax over proof you paid it to you and the place. That should help
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Yes, if it's the same company. I think they might look at your credit just to see if you will need a deposit on the account. I would pay it, it's effecting your credit score every month that it's on their unpaid. If it's the same company they may charge you the unpaid balance plus a deposit. Like I said I would pay it, it is your debt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jun. 30, 2009