Do you know of anyone personally that has had a mastectomy?Did you have one?

I am asking because my SIL has breast cancer in both breasts. We just found out. She was suppose to have a lumpectomy tomorrow,but the MRI indicated the cancer was in both breasts and they had to reschedule and regroup.I want to know what NOT to say. I know this is a trying time and I don't want to stick my foot in my mouth. My brother is heartbroken and scared. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance☺

Kat122

Asked by Kat122 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Health

• my grandmother started with cancer in one breast a fw months ago, then it went to her lymph nodes and other breast, they asked her about doing a radical mastectomy but she said no. thats the closest i have been to someone having one.im sry about ur sil, hope she stays strong and all goes well. best luck hunny...lots of prayers!!!! tell your brother to hang in there shes going to really need him...
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My cousin had one recently and my grandmother had one. Just be supportive and let them both know you are there if they need to talk about anything or if they need anything. She wont be able to do much or lift much for awhile after the surgery so you can always offer to help with the kids or household chores or to run errands for her, but don't act like she can't do anything, this will only upset her. Just try to be as supportive as you can and don't act like she is sick. You know her so you are the best judge as to how to act around her, but be prepared if she doesn't act the same for awhile, she is going to go through some major emotions. Don't forget to be there for your brother too. Good luck.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 11:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My friend recently had one. I think showing support and even saying that you don't know what to say, but love her is a great idea.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• The mastectomy surgery isn't all that bad. If they also do lymph nodes it will be more. If they do reconstruction, then that is even more recovery time. One of my neighbors told me you get up in the morning and put your bra on (even if it is a mastectomy bra )and live your life. If she seems depressed, and she has a right to be, part of her is being cut off, then pass along this information. Another person that I know who had it done was feeling depressed a couple years later, and her son told her well if you hadn' t had it done you would have been dead. So that is something to think about. Mainly her family and friends need to listen to her. Let her talk, and talk, and talk, and get it all talked out. Realize that she is suffering a triple whammy, first she needs to recover from surgery, then she needs to deal with the idea of cancer, then she needs to deal with the loss of her breasts.

Answer by Bmat at 11:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2009