hello for moms who have at c sections how many have you had? How many did the doctor tell you that you could have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My first was a C-section, my second was vaginal. Doctor's can't put a limit on how many kids you can have; what they do is warn you of the risks involved with the more C-sections you have (which sometimes does come out sounding like "You can only have 4 C-sections!"). Most doctors don't want to do more than 3 or 4, and the risks to you and the baby go up with every C-section, even the second, mostly because of the uterine scarring. Of course that doesn't mean that something bad is going to happen with your 6th child that you have to have by C-section because all 5 of your previous ones were C-sections (there are people out there who have had 8 or 9, all of them C-sections), but the risk is there.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:27 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• well i never had one but my mom has had three of them.
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My first was an emergency c-section after 12+hrs labor and no progress. The second was a scheduled c-section and was great. I got to pick the day, did my hair & nails - no stress. That was it. If I have another it'll also be a c-section, but I think we're done.
    jj.mominmd

Answer by jj.mominmd at 11:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I haven't had one...but I did want to say I think the very maximum number I have heard of was 4 c-sections.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I have had 3 and my doctor has not put a limit on me as of yet. I spoke with him just a couple of months ago and mentioned possibly getting pregnant again this Summer and he said go for it. I think in some ways it depends on your specific situation and any special circumstances involved in previous births. I do have a friend who's mother had 10, yes 1-0, with no complications and her first 3 were even done the old way with a vertical incision. Talk to you doctor.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:26 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I haven't had any, but my mom has had 6. The doctor warned her not to go past 3 or 4 (this was a while ago) but she said she'd keep going unless she had a bad feeling about it. All c sections went terrific with no extra complications and resulted in 6 beautiful babies.

She did talk to the doctor about the risks, and the main one, at least for then, was uterine rupture. She asked how that would happen and he said that if she went in to labor it was possible for her uterus to rupture, but he always took her early so she never had a chance to go in to labor.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2009