Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My exhusband's attorney contacted me via email about what I need to do for her client. She left her name and email address as her only contact information. When I emailed back asking her for her State bar # and office information she states she is not required to give that to me. How do I know she is really an attorney???

She states that she will provide me with the information after I have MY attorney contact her ( I don't have an attorney right now). This applies to the Stte of Texas.

Answer Question

Asked by wamugirl at 11:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • I would tell her that you need appropriate documentation via mail service.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • I wouldn't do anything until I had that info. I can't believe that's the reply she gave you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • Call the Barr Association in your city. They will tell youif she is in good standing. Then, you never answer any emails. 

    Official requests come in certified mail.  If you comply with an email, he can always say you volunteered to give that up and ask for more later in writing, because the two of you have nothing formalized.


    Answer by LeftBrainy at 11:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • Google her name,,,,Look her up in the phone book,, under Lawyer/Attorney.


    Answer by louise2 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • Thanks for your replies! I forgot to add that I already called the State Bar here in TX and they told me she is NOT registered with them. So she is not an attorney.

    Answer by wamugirl at 11:27 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • I would tell her, if she was a professional...that all corespondances between her office and you, should be made through YOUR attorney's office. Do not deal with a lawyer on your own, it can only lead to trouble.

    Answer by salexander at 11:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • Get your own lawyer and quick. I know two guys who totally got screwed because they didn't have lawyers in their divorces. I mean totally screwed in visitation, child support and alimony, and they weren't bad guys either, but they were stupid and didn't have lawyers. And get everything in writing, not e-mails, but certified mail and once you have your lawyer have everything go through him/her.

    Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • by law she has to give you her bar number.And what kind of attorney doesn't willingly give out onfo? Honestly when we moved into our house in SC I had an attorney's office from upstate NY call looking for my ex husband. This was last year and we divorced in 1995. I wasn't home but they gave my husband their phone number so I called back and they guy said I was listed as a direct contact for him. I said I haven't had any contact with him since we divorced years ago and they claimed they couldn't find any current info on him (he has lived int he same house for 12 years which I had no problem finding online) yet me being in my new house for 3 months they had no problem. So upon investigation I found out it was an ilegal collection agency using a lawyers office as a front and it was all illegal. I was told by the Bar Assocaition in NY state that upon request a lawyer has to give BAr info to anyone. Sounds like a scam.

    Answer by pagirl71 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • oh and you can report her online. Becareful.

    Answer by pagirl71 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2009


    Answer by admckenzie at 11:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.