Kids and Amusement Parks

I have heard several stories about injuries, and sometimes even death at some amusement parks and on some rides.

I would like to take my 6 year old to Six Flags, but dh is worried about how safe it is, and how often the state inspects places like this. I think it will be fine if we stick to the kiddie rides.

Do you take your kids to big amusement parks? Do you thnk they are safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I took mine to Busch Gardens when she was 6 years old. The one death I remember at the Six Flags in Gurnee was a girl who did not spit out her gum and choked on it on a roller coaster. Then there was the dipsh-t who decided to hop the fence to retrieve his hat and got hit by a coaster car. I would say the rides are a lot safer than carnival rides. A good thing to do would be to get her height before you go so you can see if the rides she can go on is worth the admission price. However, most Six Flags have waterparks now so you can go there too if the one you are going to has one.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:22 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Thanks, I hit the anon button on mistake when I posted. I remember both of those stories from the Gurnee Six Flags, that is the one we will be going to, as we only live about an hour away. My daughter got a free ticket to got there froma reading program at school.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• yes death occurs at all amusement parks including Disney. It's usually cause the people do not follow the safety guidelines on the rides and think it's cute to go on the rides despite the precautions. I would agree that amusement park rides are safer than carivale rides. I had 6 Flags season passes and we just got back from Disney.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• when accidents happen at amusements usually people are the ones at fault...I take my kids to amusements parks I always tell them not to be messing around
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Death and injuries occur at amusement parks, zoos, schools, stores, crossing the street, at home, etc.

What are you going to do? Stay home and do nothing because someone might get hurt?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2009