Do you think that the "Peace" sign is appropriate for a christian to wear, have, draw, ect?

So many times in the church you hear that the peace sign is an upside down broken cross. Is this a myth that old time christians came up with for the heck of it or is it a fact? I have always felt that as a christian it is misfitting to have any part of the peace sign. What are your views? I have an almost 6yr old son who is fascinated with the things...no thanks to his grandma...who by the way knows I dislike them. Help...need some advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can take any symbol and make it mean something bad. I have never heard this about a peace signs. but if your son is fascinated with them then teach him that Jesus is the prince of peace. Take a stand in your family and make it stand for whatever you want it to (sorry that grandma started that), and then for the rest of your sons life when he sees one he will think of the meanings that you taught him.

deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 2:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I don't think it is anti-Christian in any way. I thought the whole world should be for peace. No one wants war, do they? I mean sometimes it is unavoidable but if there is another way should we opt for peace, no matter what our religion?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I don't see why anyone would have a problem with the idea of peace?! That makes no sence! A peace sign has (and never had) anything to do with ANY religion. It's a political thing more than anything. Personally I think it's wonderful to teach peace over all else. This world could use more of it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Its amazing how people come up with silly fiction. How is it that the peace sign is suppost to symbolize an upside down cross? So are we not suppost to use the Plus sign either? Or put 2 fingers up (peace sign)? This is getting rediculous! I used to draw peace signs all the time while I was younger, just doodling and such and my father is a pastor. I'm a Christian and have never heard such make belive. It just a sign, as a stop sign is just a sign, as any other sign, its just a sign of peace. Wow, some people sure can blow things out of porportion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• To the first few answers: I never said or meant that I was against peace. I teach my son that we should have peace and pray for it always.
    I was in a very, very strict church for many, many years. We were taught that the peace sign (not peace itself) was a sign of the anti-christ..the devil itself. Now that I have gotten away from that church it is still part of who I am. Is this something that they, this church, came up with for the heck of it just to add more rules to themselves? Or should I be concerned about this sign that when turned upright does look like a broken cross? I just need some nice answers and nice help. Your bashing and critisicm is not neccessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• There is some validity to the OP's question If you follow the link provided, it talks about how the symbol was originally designed for the British nuclear disarmament movement" and how it morphed into "to a number of occult meanings, such as an upside down crucifix with the arms broken downward, suggesting the way that St. Peter was martyred (see Cross of St. Peter), or a representation of Jesus on the cross upside-down. This broken cross of Christianity was commonly conjectured as an antichrist symbol in the 1960s. Others have claimed that the symbol resembles a medieval sign known as "Nero's Cross" that represents Christian heresy." 

I agree with Sabrina though that the world could use more peace and there is nothing wrong with using the peace sign if it brings more peace to the world.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Sorry here is the link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_symbol

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• This is what I've heard about it... The Peace sign was originally the International Symbol for Nuclear Disarmament, it's composed of the semaphore symbols for "N" and "D", and has nothing to with any religious symbol. In the '60s supporters of the Vietnamese War began inventing negative meanings for symbols of the Protest movements, and that was one of them. Another was a popular poster showing a chicken whose feet were in the shape of the Peace Sign and describing it as the sign of the "American Chicken", the implication being that anyone who opposes war for any reason regardless of circumstances or disagrees with the Republicans on any issue is either a traitor or a coward.

I've always viewed the peace sign as something that had anti-Christian undertones, not sure why, but, as Christians, we are to "avoid every appearance of evil". That being said, my motto is... "When in doubt, do without"

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I believe that the peace sign stands for just what it says - peace. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. In fact, any "occult" meaning in regards to it came AFTER the original meaning.

I think the bigger issue, though, is your mother going against your wishes - I don't feel that her pushing something that you don't like on your son is right. You need to sit down with her and have a long discussion on the subject - she's undermining your authority with your son, and that could cause an array of problems in the future.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• hmm...i have NEVER heard that before. i grew up in a pretty literal church...sometimes literal to the point of lunacy (learning new church songs was a way the devil was "tricking" us into worshipping him). so im pretty sure if this were true i would have heard about it & been warned about using it.

the vast majority of symbols only mean what YOU think they mean. so if you truly are uncomfortable using the peace sign, then dont. i agree with jennijune that the bigger issue is your sons grandma. is it your mom or you MIL? she prolly just thinks you are being silly b/c she doesnt see the peace symbol as anything but what most ppl see it as. doesnt make it right tho.

i would hope God is a little more gracious & loving than to send someone to hell just for using the peace sign.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2009