When looking at what is being taught in schools do you think about other kids or just your own??

I keep seeing people saying things like "Sex ed shouldn't be taught by anyone but me" or "you can teach my kids about world religion" or "Global warming has no place in schools"...

Do you ever think that while YOU may be teaching your children what is right that others are not. And that your child is not the only one there? IF 100% of the parents taught sex ed at home they wouldn't teach it. If people taught tollerance for all to their kids we wouldn't need to teach about other faiths... Or if people taught their kids to care for the earth we wouldn't have to talk about Global Warming... But the majority of people do NOT teach their kids this stuff at all! So it HAS to be taught in schools. Why do these things upset people so much? Personally I think we need MORE of them being taught. Sex ed, World Religion and Green Living should be year long classes IMO. To many parents don't teach it at home and that puts all at risk!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:34 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sex ed, World Religion and Green Living

These are all personal preferences and should be left to the parents to teach their OWN children. I do not want some person I do not know teaching my children their personal beliefs PERIOD. A parent the chooses not to teach their children it is their option and choice. You are the government has no right deciding for them.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• This is a great question, Sabrina.

I personally think that EVERY child could benefit from school based sex ed, world religion classes, and political classes. I feel that these help the children see that their parent's beliefs are NOT necessarily the end all - be all of what the world is about. It also allows the children the freedom to make their own INFORMED decisions on what's right for them, regardless of it being safe sex, political affiliation, or religion. To take these choices away from our children is to question their intelligence and to also take away their rights to choose.

Kids are more worldly than we could ever believe - even "sheltered" kids learn about the real world at some point or another. Parents who deny these types of classes should reconsider their position - I feel that they are doing more harm than good by forcing the issue.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• You had me right up to Global warming. It's junk science. the earth for the last at least five years has been cooling a degree. Why no solar flares. The last time that happened for a period of time there was an Ice Age. So teaching children social skills unfortunately has become a need because of the lack of Parenting.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I concur!
    If all parents taught their kids religious tolerance, the world would be a better place, but since they don't it is good that they are learning it in school.
    My son had an entire quarter last year devoted to leaning about the Muslim religion, some of the parents were up in arms that they were brainwashing the kids into becoming Muslim. After the quarter was over the biggest opposer and I were talking and she reluctantly agreed that it was a good lesson for the kids and that if anything it made her kid want to learn more about his own religion.
    As to the sex ed and global warming, I agree that they should both be taught in schools.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching our children to conserve our resources and take care of our planet. In fact I think it SHOULD be taught. Even if you don't believe in global warming, what harm comes from teaching our kids to be respectful of our planet?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It should be taught but not with lies. God gave us this earth. We are it's caretakers. There is so much junk science going around that is being taught as truth. Scientists papers that are being hijacked by the extreme libral left. When they try to defend what they have found and get the truth that they wrote they are black listed. that's the problem I have.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Good question... as for sex-ed in schools it can and can not be a good thing... I think it would depend on the whole of the class..
    And I agree if parents taught more tolerance of Religions to their own children, it would not be needed in school as for Global Warming or as one poster stated ice-age... either way we have become selffish people when it comes to our Earth and the lack of care we take for her.... so teaching respect for the Earth in school is a good thing...
    If parent's don't like what's being taught in schools there is alway homeschooling and many have gone that route even in our area...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• since my DD is 4 years away from being in school i still think about all kids. i substitute teach about once a week & it is unbelievable how little students know about most everything. i subbed in a high school health class last year during the sex ed part. the teacher had left a worksheet, but the kids finished that in no time. so i answered their questions...talk about crazy! its just sad that a month into sex ed & they still knew nothing about actual sex. i subbed in a middle school current events type class & the teacher had them watching "an inconvenient truth". id only heard the jokes about it, but there was a 6th grade boy that was angry we had to watch it. the whole time he was complaining about how dumb Gore is & was glad he was never president cause he's stupid. how in the world did he know anything about Gore? somebodys parents were teaching him to be a jerk. so im all for teaching children everything.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Here's the sad thing - the same people who object are the most likely to not actually teach any of those things in any form at home. They're the ones who will wait until after the kids down the street have given their kid the sex talk, will never say a good word about any religion but their own and allow no question under their roof, and scoff so loudly at green ideas as being stupid they'll cost themselves money over a misguided principle. Probably the last people who should be homeschooling. But that's the answer - don't like what the school teaches, take your kids out. You don't get to stunt every other kids development, only your own.

*I'm hardly suggesting that's what homeschoolers are like - the majority are intelligent. It's the reactionary ones that are hurting their kids. The same ones who in decades past would be the ones organizing book burnings.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• most parents version of sex ed is "dont have sex, its bad"

they need to hear the IF you have ex....you need to do this...etc etc.

green living, what is wrong with that? knowledge is power. and your kids should get every bit of info they can and let them decide as they mature what is right for them
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2009