All Faith Discussion: God's Love or God's Wrath?

Hey guys, I know it's been a while. There's been a whole lot going on in my life, and I've had to take some time to do some soul searching and prayer to get my mind back on track.

One thing that I've noticed in this forum in particular is the discussions on salvation, and what happens to those that aren't "saved" in Christ's name. I feel that there have been people in the past that, for some reason, like to push buttons, thinking that by telling someone they're going to hell if they don't believe is going to all of a sudden turn on some switch that makes faith begin.

In all honesty, for those of you that don't believe in God, let's say that for a brief moment you consider the prospect of salvation (and I'm asking hypothetically here). Which would be more likely to convert you: Someone telling you how God is going to send you to Hell, or someone telling you how much God loves you? Would it be God's Love or God's Wrath?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm going to put a quote in from the pastor who led me to Christ. It's a great one,and I've used it many times,and this question seems to be a good place to share it. "The lost world does not care what we know, until they know we care." If we constantly beat them down,telling them they will go to hell if they don't accept Christ, we will continue to drive them away. The best way to show them, is to SHOW them! Let them see Christ in you! Live your life glorifying God,and helping to advance His kingdom daily. Don't browbeat. This is what happened with my children. Once I got saved, they immediately saw a difference in me. I acted differently, I treated them,and everyone better,my language cleared up, I went to great lengths to show Christ's love. They realized they WANTED that! If it made that big a difference in Mom,they wanted to be different,also. That's what led them to accept Christ,not me constantly forcing it on them.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Love.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• DEFENITELY GOD LOVE!!!

Answer by older at 11:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I do not believe in the Bibical verson of God, but I do believe in a Goddess and a God.
    But now if someone of the bibical faith were to approach me to convert...
    It would be nither that would sway me (hate or love of the bibical God) it would be the
    actions of the person of that said faith that would be a telling sign, not what is written
    about a God in a book...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think most would convert out of love long before fear. When people go looking for religion they normally are wanting peace and a sense of community you can not get those from fear.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• love and peace.

god is not the mean asshole some people make him out to be. he's divine, forgiving, peaceful, funny, intelligent.

he's just like a father. you might get a little bit of punishment when you screw up but ultimatley.....its unconditional love
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Love......BUT the bible (if it's taken literally) does not portray a loving God in any way, so if I were to be converted to a certain religion because of God's "love", then he better think of a better way of showing it than killing millions, requiring the torture of his own son for salvation, and sending non-believers to hell for using too much reason.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Thank you guys for your honest answers - they've been wonderful.
    I've missed you all these past couple of weeks!!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• well i dont think the bible is literal at all. its just a book to me.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• The way I look at salvation and being a Christian I am offended by the way to get to heaven too.I think it's mean, and if God gave man a free will to choose whomever he wants to serve he should be allowed to worship it ,even in the next life.I don't like telling anyone about Hell, I think it is a very sad and depressing topic but we are commanded by Jesus to preach the gospel[how man can be saved] and that's why we do it.The way I look at salavation from a Christian perspective is; God made this life,He made you,shouldn't He have a say in how He wants you to live your life?
    Anonymous