Another question made me think... what would happen to your family if YOU died?

As we all know, mom does most of the "housework" and "child rearing". This is true even when both parents work but it is especially true for SAHMs. What would happen to your famiy if your husband suddenly had to pay someone to clean the house, deal with the kids, cook the meals, run all the errands, take time off when the kids were sick, and all of the other thousand and one things that seem to get delegated to mom?

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have thought about this many times. I took hubby with me to go pay the bills one day. I showed him to the who, what, when, where, and how much of every bill that we have. I also keep a binder that has all of our bills for each of the month. I also have websites, passwords, and other important info in our financial binder. As far as Jeremy's health is concerned, I have a separate binder that has all of his records, along with his passport, birth certificate, and ss card in it. Paperwork wise- hubby would be okay in that department. I am more worried about the discipline and his work hours and what he would do. He would probably have to have either my family or his family watch Jeremy while he works and I don't foresee him being able to really help Jeremy with his homework when the time comes, but we have a great family support, so I know that Jeremy and my husband will be taken care of.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• When my kids were little I did worry about this. I had my own philosophy of child rearing, and I didn't feel that another woman would love my children the same way I did nor love and care for my husband as much (yeah I know, conceited of me, but that's the way I felt.) What I did was to make sure my husband would be able to run the household if I couldn't. Not that he had to actually do it, if he would hire someone or remarry, but he should be able to notice what was done and if it was being done properly. Also, I carried insurance on me when the children were little, so that my husband could afford to hire someone.

Answer by Bmat at 11:58 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I guess that we are weird. We divide the child-rearing and household chores pretty evenly.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• He would leave the children with his parents and they would probably die from being fed too much juice (she's always wanting to give juice to my dd not diluted!). haha. JK. I know my mil would do a good job. Honestly our kids would probably end up being watched by my mom because she doesn't work outside the home. (Both parents live here in town).

My dh is pretty good with housework so I don't think he would need to hire anyone. At least not full time. While I don't like the idea of someone else raising my children because no one would do it exactly the way I would, I would hope my husband would find someone else for companionship who would love my kids and treat them well and raise them to be good little adults.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• im hoping he knows that i wouldnt want them to be with anyone in his family... id rather him remarry fast so the kids could have a new mommy.. hes not very good at child rearing,
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think DH would get along just fine with the housework and caring for the kids. He had it pretty under control before I came along when he was a single father. Honestly, that would be the last of my worries if I were gone. I'd be more worried about my 2 from a previous marriage being with their dad f/t. He's a good dad, but I don't think he could handle them all the time.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• DH would figure out how to do it LOL. He'd have daycare and he'd probably make sure the trash and dishes and laundry were tended to but all other household work would be done last minute and only if absolutely necessary.

I could see him hiring someone to come in once a week and clean or ask his SIL to help do that.

Odds are good, he'd probably remarry sooner rather than later too.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My husband said he would be forced to marry someone right after the funeral :)
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 12:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think my husband would be just fine as far as child rearing and hose work go. I would be the loss of income that would be hardest I think. I pay the mortgage and he pays the bills and other expenses so....yeah that would be tough.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think about this far more than the other honestly. We need to get a better plan in place but I know he has HUGE family support. His father is about to retire and would have no problem helping play Mr. Mom. His parents also know that they would get custody if something happened to both of us. I am giving birth to our third child in July- our first little girl. Idk why but it really freaks me out... I love my husband and have confidence in his ability to raise our children. I just hate the idea of leaving him with the responsibility alone :( Not only would I love to share that with him as we always planned but I'd have to leave him alone, kwim?

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 2:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2009