Have you washed a Down Comforter that said dry clean only??

My Down comforter has been in the bag it came in for about two years. It was cleaned before it went into the bag. I got it out about two months ago, and the top and sides had turned yellow. I had it dry cleaned, and after 50.00 it wasn't even clean!

Anything that would work to get it bright white again? I don't want to spend the money on a new one, we had only used this one for 8 months before we got a new comforter and had put this one away.

StifflersMom82

Asked by StifflersMom82 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I have a down comforter that I wash and dry normally. It isn't goose down but something else because my husband is allergic. I honestly don't know if I am supposed to dry clean it or not. I do have a throw that is a microfiber/suedish feeling material on one side and some fake fur on the other that is dry clean only and I wash and dry that, too. You can always buy a comforter cover for the comforter instead of buying a new comforter if you don't want to try washing it in your washer.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I'd use Woolite upholstery spray cleaner before I'd wash it. If you have ever washed down pillows you'd know what a mess that is and it comes out clumpy. I have an old one that yellowed on me but I buy duvet covers (slip covers for comforters). They are a lot easier to wash and it covers a multitude of sins not to mention you can change your decor easy and cheaply that way

Answer by admckenzie at 6:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I've washed mine over and over, just using regular bleach or spot spray in the areas you need then wash and toss in the dryer. No problems and it's just as fluffy as before! Found a company online with natural cleaning products, email me if you want more info: guccilea@aol.com
    GucciLea

Answer by GucciLea at 10:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2009