Whats a good idea for a first Birthday?

My son will be one in September and I have no idea what to about the amount of people that are coming. I read in a magazine that too many people is not a good idea for them when they are so young. I have alot of family and so doesn't my boyfriend. Our son has made some friends too! So I think there will be about 30 give or take some. And I don't want to do two parties. What's your opinion?

My other issue is what the theme should be? He doesn't really watch tv all that much so I don't know what he likes. Any ideas?

mommykatie917

Asked by mommykatie917 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Holidays

• When my son turned 1, we invited people that we have a close relationship with. It was a small and very nice party.

The time to really get into the party mode for kids is when they are older and understand.

As for a theme, you can choose "Finding Nemo", etc.

LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Look through the themes on this page  http://www.cjkidz.com/Birthday%20Resource%20Page.html   Prince & Frog, Frog, Bumblebee, Thomas the Train, Puppy (Whaz Up Dog) are all good for this age.  Look through to see what you like.

Also, at this age, you don't need games for him, but if you are looking for activities for older kids you can play games with whatever theme you choose (put theme items on a tray, remove one and see if they remember what it was, use theme tatooes, hide a theme item for them to find, pass the theme item and when the music stops, whoever has wins (or is out)  or look at these activities http://www.cjkidz.com/Summerfun.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 12:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• We invited our family and close friends. We have a large family..so it didn't bother our daughter but remember no matter what you choose to do they aren't really going to remember it anyways. Invite the 30...not everyone will be able to come. I normally have our parties at 3pm. Then will serve food. or you can have a evening party and just have cake, ice cream and a few snacks. We did this for her 2nd b-day as we were tight on $.

We had a Big Bird 1st b-day party. Find something that he likes and go with that theme.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• There were probably 50 people at my son's first birthday party. He was born on the 4th of July and we combined his birthday party with my aunts cookout. There was no real theme, it was cold and nasty that day. It was more of a spoil Tyler day, eat lots of food and just have fun. I tend to keep his birthdays smaller now, because he doesn't like big crowds. This year, he turns 13, and there will be about 20 people at his party. Time goes fast, don't sweat the small stuff. Just have fun with your child and close family and friends. Take lots of pictures and have cupcake for the child to smash so no one has to eat a piece of cake that he slobbered on or smashed with his fingers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Well, I know for us, we're going to have close to 70 people and that's JUST family and friends that we're so close to our kids call them "aunt" and "uncle". My daughter will be 1 at the end of the month and we're doing a Luau theme! She loves people and I know she'll love being at the center of attention!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2009

• 30 people should be fine....First Birthdays are fun for the family and friends, even if not as much for the one year old... enjoy and share the fun with your friends and I am sure your one year old won't mind....at least for sure she won't hold it against you! No really, 30 people will be fine. And really, enjoy! Just be flexible with the baby...and don't have high expectations for the baby's behavior....and then the rest of you just relax and have fun!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:38 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

• We had almost 80 at our daughter's first birthday. Our son turns 1 the same day our daughter turns 6, so we are revamping a little because of that. We are letting her have a friend party with 10 friends and then we are doing a carnival joint party that will be family, his friends, her friends, and our close friends. There will probably be between 20 and 30 at the carnival part and then around 45 at the cake and present part. This is mainly because the great grandparents have no interest in coming to the carnival, so we are just gonna have them come for cake. The carnival theme is great because there is so much you can do with it. We are doing it on a budget, so we are gonna have cotton candy and popcorn during the carnival and then the cake after presents.
    Rondamb

Answer by Rondamb at 11:46 AM on Jul. 4, 2009