What can I do? He screams like he's being tortured!

SO I am out of town and yesterday I wasnt feeling well and my aunt had to help me take care of my 16month old son. She was trying to feed him and he flipped out nad was getting himself all worked up just screaming and throwing a fit. He did the same thing when we went to the store, I ran ni for a minute and left him in the car with my aunt- when I returned he was hot and sweaty from screaming and crying she said nothing she did would calm him down.
Should we all just ignore it? How can we get him to calm down and quit acting like not seeing me is the end of the world?
Sometimes he even throws a fit when he sees me get up or walk towards the door or the other room

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its common at this age like it was around 6 months of age to have seperation anxiety - just reasurre him the best you can that mommy wil be right back or maybe start a comfort item for when you leave the car - at home when you leave the room you can just keep talking to him - let him throw his fit and go on and still do what you need to do and when you return reassure him you always will be back.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• No, when I talk or say anything it makes it worse. He screams harsher, like we're just rubbing it in that Im not there
    He has a bunny thats like his lovey- sometimes he gets mad when Im not there and just throws his bunny on the ground
    Anonymous

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/feelings/separation_anxiety.html#

Pages 1, 2, and 3 should help :)
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 12:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2009