Does the word Occult offend people? If so what religion do you practice?

I answered a question about the peace sign and the website I quoted used the term occult and I hesitated to use that term because I was worried it was offensive to some.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Doesn't offend me, but I consider it archaic. I associate it with all those shocking news exposes about all the kids who were being "sucked into the occult" back in the 80's when Motley Crue and Ozzy were popular.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• The word occult doesn't offend me at all - and I am a Christian.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• doesnt offend me at all..im a satanist.
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Doesn't bother me either. I'm a Pagan Witch.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Doesn't bother me ... I'm a Wiccan - Witch
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I do not find it offensive, though I realize some use it in an insulting way. I usually don't use it to label anything I do, but I don't mind if others do. I am a Neo-pagan Witch.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• agnostic with belief that there's something out there (universe much more complicated than any book can describe, but no god sitting on a throne)

I'm bothered, not as an insult to any belief, but to the minds of the people who can't think critically before dragging themselves and their children into impractical and unhealthy religious followings.

BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 12:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• The word itself does not offend me, but misuse of it can. When legitimate non-Christian religions or symbols are referred to as occult, I get very irritated. I would have been offended/irritated by having the peace sign referred to as occult, which is a myth. It is derived from flag signals for the letters N and D for "nuclear disarmament" and there is nothing occult about that. I do not practice a particular religion.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• dont really care
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It doesn't offend me. Misuse of it amuses me. It just shows how busy Eris has been.
    I'm an Eclectic Hellenic Pagan.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2009