How do I support an overly compassionate child?

My daughter Hailey is 6 years old. She is a very sweet gifted girl. My problem comes from her being overly compassionate. Hailey can feel how you feel, which can be emotional and draining for her if you are having a bad day. Like today is the 1 year anniversary of my Grandmother's death. Everyone is sad. Hailey is almost depressed like and has had trouble breathing. Being able to feel how others are feeling, I truely believe is a gift if it is nurtured but if it runs wild my poor baby will be a neurotic mess. How do I help her get control of her abilities?

CandiGram

Asked by CandiGram at 12:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I also have a gifted and incredibly empathetic child. She really will harden up as she gets older. BUT, and this is really important, if at any time her emotions are interfering with her abilty to function, then you will have to get professional intervention.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Hailey is now 7. She is doing better. She has taken a liking to writting stories about her feelings. The progress is slow but steady.
    CandiGram

Comment by CandiGram (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2010