What age did you get on some kind of schedule with your little one?

My MIL came to visit last weekend and she was trying to "help me" get my 5 week old on a schedule....is that even possible?? My baby is also cluster feeding at the moment and she thought that was just insane - she said there was no way the baby could be hungry and hour after she eats... she was only here for 3 days so I didn't argue with her, but it really is too early to be worrying about a schedule isn't it?? BTW - my baby only gets up once in the nught half the time and the other half of the time she sleeps through!! I think that's pretty good!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At about 2 months I started not letting my DD nap after 7:30 and everyday now she goes to bed at 9... after about a week she had it down.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My baby was on a schedule by about 4 weeks just because she made it that way (if that makes sense). It was a loose schedule though, like I wouldn't postpone feeding her if she seemed hungry, but most of the time I could count on 3 hours until the next feeding. We had a good routine of eating, awake time, then nap time and repeat.

If you're worried about the cluster feedings then you could always try to stretch them out by starting with just 10 minutes later for a week, then 10 more minutes the next week. And do it gently like that. Don't worry about it though unless it's bothering you.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• 5 weeks is a bit early for a schedule IMO, my oldest two were bottle fed and they did eat about every 2-3 hours but my youngest was breastfed and the first few weeks it felt like he fed every 20 mins, it did level out and was fed on demand, and thats ok, the only schedule I kept was sleeping, at 3 months they were fed and placed in their crib to sleep at 8, it worked very well for us and I kept that schedule, even now they are 7 and 9 and they still go to bed at 8. Growth spurs can throw a feeding schedule out of whack so, bottle or breast was always on demand. I just changed my schedule LOL.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• my son was about 6 weeks old when he established a routine feeding && sleeping schedule.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• No that's not possible, it's ridiculous. However, you can start trying. I started a bedtime routine when my DD was about 8 wks. I thought to myself' this is pointless, it's never going to work.' But she slowly melded to that schedule. I started giving her a bath at the same time, doing some playing, feeding, and then she'd sleep. It just worked out. She has never been on a daytime schedule tho, and now that she goes to daycare full-time, I have no idea what her schedule is during the day. They write everything down on a sheet, but it seems to change each day. As far as feeding, feed when the baby is hungry! My kid ate every hour, every 2 hrs. and now every 3 hrs, but that changes. Your mom is trippin'.
    Anonymous