80% effaced how much longer?

I went to the doctors yesterday, im 38 weeks along and 80% effaced. no dialation. i am on light bedrest for my blood pressure its 138/90 which is on the verge of being high. I was wondering how far away from labor i am? this is my first and my husband and i are just anxious to meet our little girl and im just going stir crazy laying around all day? any advice would be appreciated. im not trying to be selfish or anything like that, nor do i want to make my daughter come before shes ready i would just like an idea of what to expect? Thank you

ChloeMom0709

Asked by ChloeMom0709 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There's no telling. Some women are 80% effaced and dilated to 3 cm and stay that way for a 2-3 weeks. Others show absolutely no signs of progress at 39.5 weeks and go into labor 2 days later. Your body's getting ready, but it doesn't mean anything's going to happen tomorrow or even next week. Sorry I couldn't tell you anything more encouraging. :-(
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• aw sweetie you don't sound selfish! you are 38 weeks and ready to go! =]
    well i started getting slight contractions at 38 weeks and 3 days, i went in and they checked me and i was 75% effaced, 2 cm. dilated. i went home, walked A LOT, did a lot of cleaning, and the next morning at 5am my contractions started coming on HARD so we went in and i had my daughter 6 hours later. (she was my first and only) so i had her at 38 weeks and 4 days.
    but 80% effaced, thats good! you will probably have her in the next 2 days i would imagine!
    congrats and good luck with labor!
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 12:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• You could have the baby today, in a few days, or in a matter of weeks. To tell you the truth, you could show no progress at all and still have your baby today so it's kind of hard to tell. Hang in there. I know you're at the point now where you just want it to be over. Good luck!
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• i have been 75% effaced and dilated all the way to 3 1/2 cent for two weeks now but no baby . But it could be soon. walking is major help with my dilation.goodluck
    Anonymous