When do babies usually start feeding themselves?

My son will be ten months on Friday and still doesn't really show any interest in feeding himself. If we give him a bowl of food he just dumps it and plays with the bowl, not even trying to feed himself with his hands. Is he behind or just lazy?

r_elizabeth2290

Asked by r_elizabeth2290 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son will be 10 months old on Thursday and he's the same way. Just doesn't seem to be interested in feeding himself. He just wants to play all the time!
    Anonymous

• My baby's 7 months and she feeds herself finger foods so...I'm not sure at what age she will use utensils to feed herself.

geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 12:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• finger foods we started at 6 months,, and around 10 monthe he was more interedted with playing.. i think its just a phase at that age,, just keep trying.. i also found it helpful if i jsut gave them 2-3 pieces at a time.. more work for me to have and give but less emss and they ate more...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2009