Black and white politically correct?

I'm looking for a true answer here, its a genuine question, so if you're going to spew hatred from behind an anon button, move on you're not welcome here. I was at the store the other day, and my 3 year old said "mommy, why is that man so black". I responded "because God made him black, and me white, and you brown, (my son is half mexican) because he wanted the world to be a colorful place" This was acceptable to my son and we were moving on, when the man came over and very rudely said "excuse me I'm African American not black, why don't you take you and your racist comments somewhere else"... When did it become racist to refer to someone as black? I'm referred to as white every day of my life, I've never been called caucasian. Did this individual just have a grudge I was the victim of, or do I need to be teaching my child to refer to people as African American and Caucasian and not black and white.

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• See, this is tricky to me. Bc if you really look at it-NOT all AA's you see on the street are "african" There are many from britian who will clearly tell you that they are NOT african american. In the US, I think that we have this problem with have to label people-why can't we all be americans??

Can most blacks tell you if their ancestors truely came from africa? Probably not. Can most whites tell you their ancestory? Some can, some can't.

I agree with you that this is a difficult topic to try to explain to a little one.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you about what you told your son. We are not called caucasian, we are called white so why would we call a black person african american? I don't think that is racist at all.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I do not consider it racist, and neither do any of my "black" friends. I think it was sweet what you told your son :) I wish more people would have tolerance for all the beautiful colors in the world :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Did this individual just have a grudge I was the victim of

Yes,

I worked with a guy like that (he was very young, with a very large chip on his shoulder) until one of our co-workers who actually was African American, as in born and raised in Africa, had a little talk with him about what growing up in Africa was actually like. The guy became much more humble after that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It is very tricky; I am Black/AA and I don't get offended when people refer to me as Black., however some may depending on the context in which it's said. In your example to your son, I think the guy may be overly sensitive. It may also depend on how dark their skin color is. If someone is very dark-skinned, they may take offense to being called Black because they interpret it as the color, not the race.

My kids (6 year olds) do not yet understand the word Black as a race. So when a White child at school called my son Black, he took it as his skin color was being called Black, and so he told him - no I'm brown and my sister is a little darker brown.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 1:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• You handled it well.

Dude's got a chip on his shoulder. Majority of black people that I know don't care what you call them, as long as it's not derogatory slang.

Funnily enough, one of my friends invited me to a 'colored party' once. I asked him how he could say something like that, being black.

Turned out we were supposed to dress in certain colors, lmao. Yeah, STILL haven't lived that one down
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I think, unfortunately, you were just the receiving end of a guy who had an axe to grind with someone about something. The way you explained it to you child was just fine, imho.
    Anonymous

• I dunno, but the guy was just one of those who thinks whites are all racist and that the whole white race owes them something.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Steph- I think everyone would agree that the guy had a bit of a chip on his shoulder but where in the OP's original statement did you get this?
    "but the guy was just one of those who thinks whites are all racist and that the whole white race owes them something."
    -------------------------------------
    Personally, I don't give a rat's behind what anyone calls me, I have no control over it nor am I gonna catch a case everytime someone calls me black or whatever. I personally use the term colored to incorporate all of the races I have running thru my veins, but hey that's just me.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• i dont think they should be called african american unless they were born there and then came to america, if they are born here in america theyre just american,not african american, my ancestors are from europe but im not european american i was born in america therefore i am american. i think that anyone born in america is just american whatever race they may be. all my "black" friends are not offended when i call them black, one of them tells others who call him african american, i wasnt born in africa i am an american and i think thats totally right and thats how it should be......i think you handled the situation with your son very well. let it go, the guy just wanted to be an a-hole and you got the shitty end of it.
    Anonymous