Since Autism is a mental illness don't you think that children should be placed in Psychiatric Hospitals?

I mean if parents complain so much about the schools and how their kids are being neglected in schools.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• OP, you do realize that not all Autistic children have needs that are even ABLE to be served in a mental hospital, right? I mean, some need meds, but most need therapies that are provided by speech therapists, occupational, and physical therapists, and people to teach them socialization skills. The last thing I want is my child learning to socialize from sociopaths, and people who ARE a danger to themselves and others.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Oh right now thats gonna help. Unbelievable
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• No, but I do think that they should be put into special schools if the parents are upset about how the child is getting treated.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• While you're at it, OP, why don't you just put all people with disabilities behind walls and have them sterilized so they can't reproduce?

You're another who would have had Einstein locked up and then where would the scientific field be? People like you really piss me off.

Let me guess? You like what Hitler stood for and think the Holocaust never happened, right?
    Anonymous

• I do think there should be special schools, or at least specialized classes, for them. While I can (sort of) understand their parents desire to mainstream them with their peers, it's really not fair to the other kids. The special needs kids need a lot of attention from the teacher, disrupt the classroom, and slow down the learning. I think it does a disservice to all involved.
    Anonymous

• This offends me oh so much. There is no way I should be in a mental institution and neither should my son. Just because we are different doesn't mean you get to hide us from the rest of the world.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Autism is NOT a mental illness. It is a developmental disability.

What in the world would make you think parents would want to lock up their children because they "complain about schools"? That makes absolutely not logical sense at all.
    rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Ok for moms who think that Autism is not a mental disability. Some children with autism are diagnosed with mental retardation and like wise some children with mental retardation are diagnosed with autism. Feel lucky if you know that your children's "Autism" is not affecting them the way that some other children with autism have been affected.

Children with Autism have self-injurious behavior. In some schools I have seen children wearing helmets to prevent injuries (not encephalitic children).

These children are being under served and parents keep complaining that schools don't have the stuff to monitor and help with the therapy.

You have to observe and collect data some kids would benefit from medication but what a teacher can do?

There are centers out there (not loony houses) I'm talking about centers/hospitals where the child will be better served. I've known of a mother with a 13 year old who is at pre-k level cont
    Anonymous

• cont academically and self-injurious. The school never help with these problems the mother now is left with the decision to put him in a residential placement.
    Anonymous

• Yeah! Lets lock up everyone with diabetes too! Oh, and people with anemia! Goodness knows they cant live outside hospital walls! They're sick!
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 2:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2009