Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are there any parental rights when dealing with CPS? How much control do they actually have and what can you do about false accuizations called in by the child's father?

I understand that CPS is for the children, but what about the parents? Who helps them with CPS when being harrassed, attacked and threatened? How many times can a person/home be investigated to find nothing ? The file gets bigger, but in every investigation...the case was closed...and CPS still holds the closed cases against a parent. Is this standard procedure? A child's father constantly calling CPS...bringing up PAST RESOLVED issues and waisting the time of CPS...I have problems, but who doesn't? No-one is perfect, right? Do we as parents have any rights what-so-ever when dealing with this organization?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

Answers (12)
  • CPS is not just for the children. It is for the family! least, that's how it is here in Cali. That's why they chanced their name from CPS to CFS. Children and family services.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • CPS has to investigate every report made to them. Just in case. I really don't think parents have a whole lot of rights where that is concerned. I'm sorry you're going thru this.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • Unfortunately, it really depends on the state, the county and the agent. CPS is technically for the family, not just the children. Here in TX, CPS knocked on my door 2x, both times therapists reported me when I asked for help with my son. Both times CPS said it was a waste of their time and closed their case. The 2nd time, however, the CPS agent did help me. She gave ME a list of resources for my son and a bunch of local resources. 2 wks ago a neighbor reported me as a retaliation for me complaining about her. After the supervisor reviewed my file and saw allegations were dismissed twice, he didn't investigate the 3rd call. Speak to a caseworker. You have a right to request an administrative review of the investigation findings if you feel they are false. You also have the right to request that the info concerning you be removed from the case. Good Luck!

    Answer by CoolGirlChris at 2:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • CPS has recently started really catching on to these false reports and are well aware of them.

    My DH works with adolescents who have gotten into legal troubles, and their families. As well as teach a class on parents with out of control teens. What he always recommends when parents express concerns of false accusations of abuse/neglect is that you call cps right away and explain the situation to them. CPS has to document all call that they get and if you give them a paper trail stating their concerns of false accusations they will make it much easier for them to treat the case a just and correct fashion.

    if someone is making treats against you (sounds like an ex husband in this case) that you can take some of the wind out of their sails by offering to call for them.

    Document EVERYTHING.

    Answer by AmandaQuu at 4:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • Thank you for all your advice...I have to say I have something that works against me with CPF/CFS and that is why they will ALWAYS re-open a case EVERY time he calls.In the past (7+ years ago), I had a substance abuse problem and so my ex called.(as any good, loving and concerned parent should)..I got the help I needed by that phone call, and am grateful, but now I cannot seem to live down my past and that ONE issue continues to resurface, no matter if the accuizations have anything to do with substance abuse! Despite all their "on demand" tests that I take, and pass everytime..I have to always have proof and am always proving to CPS that I no longer am abusing any kind of substances. They take one look at my file and automatically judge me for the worst. I went to CPS before they came to me, they said one more call 2 thm I will lose my daughter altogether. ex called cuz of my boyfrnd gets lil' abusive with me at times

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • Ok. First. Congrats on coming clean!! It's not easy and I commend you for that. :) Kudos to you for getting your life together and giving your child what she needs. Second. I agree. It does suck to constantly be judged for something you did years ago. Third. Get rid of the abusive boyfriend. Period. I gotta be honest with you. I would never allow my son to live in a house where abuse existed even if the abuse wasn't directed toward him. Your daughter means more to you than some abusive jerk and if that is the only reason the ex is calling CPS and the next time they come they're taking her from you, then get rid of him.

    Answer by CoolGirlChris at 6:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • CoolGirlChris - I love your honesty and thank you for being direct. I need that! I know what you mean about the boyfriend and believe me I will do whatever they say to make sure I am with my daughter. Her father and I actually get along great and are friends. I understand his concern and safety for our daughter as well as her emotional well being. I am bothered that these people can disrupt my life, override custody order by having my child stay with her dad, convict me due to my past, belittle and insult my parenting. then tell me if I don't do X-Y-Z then that is it. They don't know me nor do they care to.We are bad people becasue we fight...that is it in their eyes. My boyfriend has a mental illness and REALLY needs help with his brain. I am by no means a victim here, I am not supporting abuse, but I think there are other postive approaches of action to take here so that in the long run we all win. They offer nothin

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • No problem. :) I do understand about being judge for parenting. I don't have a "past" but I have an adopted son with bipolar and ADHD, who misbehaves frequently. I am quite often looked at as the "single mother who can't control her child." Of course, that's when I blast them back and say, I adopted him because his drug addicted bio parents didn't want him. It's amazing how quickly they bow their heads and apologize. Keep doing your best and eventually it will work. Try to ignore the critics. As for the boyfriend. You can't help him. You need to take care of you and your daughter. Tell him point blank, this is what HE needs to do to be a part of your life and walk away. GOD I know that's tough. IF your bf gets help, straightens up, gets counseling, gets his illness treated, then slowly bring him back in. Try your state's mental health department for assistance. Good Luck :)

    Answer by CoolGirlChris at 12:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • I was on your side until you mentioned that your boyfriend has a mental illness that causes issues. I do feel your ex has a right to be concerned. Not that I think you would ever allow something to happen to your daughter, but he has to protect her too. I honestly feel for your situation, but you may need to choose between helping your boyfriend, in which case your daughter will need to be with her father. Or putting your daughter first which means finding a way to help your boyfriend outside of your home.

    Answer by Petie at 9:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

  • They have to investigate when they get a call, and they would be irresponsible NOT to look at the past when looking at you now. This is what they are supposed to do. First of all, they have to protect the children and secondly, they do have to protect the family unit whenever possible. You must be very careful about exposing your children to a man with a mental illness who is abusive. You must make sure to follow through on whatever they tell you to do if you want to maintain your relationship with your kids. Parents do have rights....but the rights/protection of the kids has to come first. The kids are helpless without adults to protect them. Be patient with CPS and follow their advice too.

    Answer by BJoan at 1:18 AM on Jul. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.