Has anyone else had this problem? My 21 month old has been spitting out his food before swallowing it lately. He will chew it all up, but not swallow it. Does anyone know why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ughh, my son is 22 months && has been doing that since he was around 20 months old. I have no idea why he does it && I have tried everything I can think of to get him to quit, but NOTHING works!! If you find an answer, let me know too....lol. He eats most of his food, but the part he doesn't want he just chews it up && spits it back out onto his high chair tray, it drives me nuts!!
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Mine has been doing that lately and when he does I have noticed it is because his mouth is too full. He will shove as much food in as he can fit at a time and then not be able to swallow. I just make sure to cut his food smaller and give him less food at a time. I keep his food on my plate and portion it unto his highchair when he has finished the previous portion.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• weird my son is doing this too - he'll chew up grapes or corn and spit the rest out or scrape it off his tounge and i figured it was just the skins from those foods and this morning he did it with his granola cereal -so much that he gagged and almost threw up - he's almost 20 months old -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My daughter is 20 months and is doing the same thing. I started telling her "NO, swollow it." or "take a drink" . She has stoped doing it . and now is eating a pretty good amout of food.
    Katy1213

Answer by Katy1213 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2009