Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I do now?!?!

My son has special needs and gets evaluations done about once every 6 months. My son's last evaluator said that he should be getting 25 hours of behavioral therapy on top of the 2 hours of therapy he already gets a week. The closest behavioral therapy to me is 2 hours away! I can't get a job since I have to take him to all his therapies so what am I supposed to do?! How the hell am I supposed to get enough gas money to take him on a 2 hour trip every few days?! I'm on the verge of loosing it. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm at the end of my rope and I'm about to snap. =(

Answer Question

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 14 (1,737 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Look into grants. There are some grants out there for people with special needs children. Also, look into what kind of help your local churches and charities can give you. Check for "Respite Care" in your area also.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • My son has to have OT but we make too much money for the state to pay for it so we have to pay out of pocket. 80 bucks for 2 hours a week!!!!!! When I say we make too much money I mean by what they say is too much. I really wish they would look at what we pay out every month. We are just barley able to buy gas for our cars and food for our kids now we have to pay an extra 80 bucks a week. My son needs it so I will find a way but I'm not sure how at this point. Any way I just wanted to say I know how you feel and good luck with your son.


    Answer by joleensboys at 1:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • Some health insurance companies offer transportation services to and from appointments.I would look into it.Good luck!!

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • Check into your local Early Intervention. I pay nothing for services (speech, OT and PT...behavioral hasn't come up yet so I don't know) and they come to my house.

    I've done everything through EI and the CPSE from our school district. There are some things I've had to do on our own (psychologist for evals with my oldest...but if he receives a diagnosis, he can get psych therapy through the district, too)

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • In my ares early intervention provides an early intervention teacher to come out once a week for 30 minutes. We have physical, occupational, and speech through them as well. But, we have to go to those therapists (45 mins away)...and my area doesn't have behavioral therapy on their early intervention program. But, thanks for the suggestions!

    Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • I believe that if your child is under 3 you can have someone come to your house.

    What about public transit?

    Answer by rkoloms at 2:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • Public transit?...Like a bus or something? We don't have any public transportation here...I live in the country in the middle of no where....which is why we are having so much trouble. No body comes to the houses here except his early intervention teacher. I've asked.

    Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • ummm doesnt the state pay for your child anyway?!

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • No. The state pays for some of his therapies and such. But they do not pay for my son. And quite frankly that's a bit offensive. I asked a simple question and asked for help. If you feel the need to be smart about it, go somewhere else. I'm going through enough without dealing with you. If you would have actually read the question, you would see the trouble is finding a way to get enough gas money to go 2 hours away multiple times a week.

    Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

  • Girl. I feel for you. I used to drive an hour to work every day, just to BARELY make the bills. I was terrified of getting sick because I couldn't afford the medical bills, then my son broke his leg and I missed two weeks of work - those two weeks I never caught up from so now my house is being foreclosed on. :-/ I know how it feels to struggle with just feeding yourself. It's hard, very very hard, and frustrating to the point of tears quite often. If I were closer I would help as much as possible. Since I can't, the only thing I can suggest is looking into DSS transportation or seeing if you can swap rides for other favors, like child care or something. :-( Have you considered relocating to an area where medical facilities would be easier to access, maybe home sharing with another family?

    Answer by Kodeekins at 9:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.