so whats the news on the troops?

sorry i havent been home lately and my phone charger hasnt been w/ me either. so i see on cnn about 'withdrawl' ... whats going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• All US Troops have been pulled from Baghdad, and the Iraqis are all sorts of happy about. Unfortunately, four soldiers were killed during the withdrawl.
    Anonymous

• so wait ... the troops comming home?!
    Anonymous

• Not all. Just from Baghdad. And I'm sure most of them will get shipped to other cities or to Afghanistan.
    Anonymous

• so there not comming home home ... theyre still staying near there or what? im sorry as i said i havent been home ... and the news is only giving bits and pieces!
    Anonymous

• Not much. We are just getting out of the cities, not the country and the General said they had been withdrawing for the past month or so. I expect most troops are already out, getting used to their new digs. LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• No, they aren't all coming home right now. We are doing a slow draw down of forces. It won't be a large homecoming. One BCT at a time will just not be replaced when their tour is up and eventually most of them will be gone. We are adding more troops to Afganistan, but once most of the troops are out of Iraq (by the end of next year), there should be a little more time in between deployments. I'm thinking that the Army could get 15 months in between deployments rather than just 12. And maybe at some point that will go up to 18 months at home between deployments.

They are out of the cities, that means that they are staying on the bases and possibly continuing missions in rural areas.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• They're just getting out of the cities. I honestly hope they dont come home , home because the fighting will just get worse. Bush (#1 lol called him that for years sorry) started this, had his son "finish" it , but in return Obama is finishing it! If they bring these troops all the way home , we are all dead!
    Anonymous

• Anon, they're not coming home yet. They're still there, and they've known that they'll be leaving Baghdad for a while, but still have time left on their deployments, which means they'll just be put in some other place in Iraq.

itsmesteph11, they had to have all troops out of Baghdad by what would've been this morning for us here in the US.
    Anonymous

• Anon 1:38, that's just stupid. We're not "all dead" if we leave Iraq. The Iraqis are REJOICING in the fact that the troops are leaving Baghdad. They're having freaking parades for crying out loud! Iraq is not peopled entirely by extremists who only want to blow up the entire country. They're in a war with themselves right now, and we should not be a part of it.
    Anonymous

• If they bring these troops all the way home , we are all dead!

Why? What makes you say that? I'm not trying to be snippy, I truly want to understand. I hear this a lot and it doesn't make sense to me.

We will still have troops in the area, we have a large base in Kuwait and Qatar. Why do the Iraqi's and even the insurgents pose a threat to us in the United States? At least anymore than any other terrorists out there, including the active terrorist cells that are IN the US. Why aren't we worried about them?
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2009