• In the Spotlight:

Red Rash around mouth

My 14 mo son gets red rashes around his mouth. It is more like red dry skin that gets bright and flares up after he eats or after a bath and then dries up and peals a few days later (never pussy or leeking). I tried to eliminate strawberries, andother fruits for a while and even milk to see if it would get better but it just comes and goes randomly. He started it early on his cheaks before he was eating on his own so I am so confused and can't figure out what is causing this. Any advice??

TONDAN912

Asked by TONDAN912 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My step sone has this he has exama they gave us a cream to put on a few times a day and it cleared up it still comes back sometimes i've noticed that citrus causes it to flare up.
    Countrymommy03

Answer by Countrymommy03 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Could it be Eczema? My daughters started with her cheek. It would get dry and peel some.
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• if it were ezcema would food,saliva or water touching it make it flare up? That is what tends to happen?
    thanks for your advice. :)
    TONDAN912

Answer by TONDAN912 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I could possibly be just from bacteria. It's pretty common for that to happen around the mouth and cheeks from moisture and food. You can use Neosporin or anything similar to clear it up. Maybe just check with his ped on the next visit to see if something a little stronger is needed.

An allergy would normally cause a rash on the trunk.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Keep a food diary and try to determine what may be causing this. My friend's son has the same reaction to bananas

Answer by rkoloms at 9:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My son gets this from chapped lips and eczema. My sons doc said to use Aquaphor. Make sure he doesn't pick at it, that will make it worse. And, yes, foods, liquids and saliva will irritate it. At first my son was using a steroid cream around his mouth but I was not comfortable with that. Aquaphor works wonders.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2009