Do you feed your kids Spam? What do you do with it? Never had it before

I bought some on sale (coupons) and I've never had it before. What do you do with it? DH told me to throw it away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I fry it and add it to mac and cheese for a quick low fat meal. LOL
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• It is good sauted. Slice and put it in a hot skillet to sear both sides. Serve for breakfast (or other meals) with eggs and grits or home fries. Anything you would use hotdogs in, you can use spam for. Try it will grilled pineapple.

Answer by Bmat at 1:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I love it. I love Spam. Most people think I'm weird for it, but I LOVE it. You can make it into Spam-kabobs and grill it with some chunks of peppers, onions and pineapple. My favorite is Spam-bled eggs. Just toss it in with scrambled eggs in the morning. LOVE IT!

Oh, but never add salt to anything you have Spam with.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• No!!! dont throw it away!!!

Take it and lay it on its side and slice it into quarter inch slices. Put it in a frying pan and fry it!

OR....(your dh will love this) slice it up and then in a bowl, put ketcup, and brown sugar, mix it....there is no real amount just till it looks good.....put the spam in a casserole dish and drizzle the mixture over the top so every part is covered, cook in oven on 350 for as long as it takes to caramelize....

MMMMMMM yummy, I cook that at least once or twice a month, my kids and dh LOVE it!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Spam is definately an aquired taste. You can fry slices like bacon to serve with eggs or cut it into thin strips for sandwiches. I didn't like it too much, but my doggie sure did!
    StepJenni

Answer by StepJenni at 1:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• we use to eat it fried or in casseroles growing up but i havent had it in yrs...
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 1:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I prefer treet but it is basically the same . We cut it up, fry it and mix with mac and cheese. It really is good. My husband likes it just fried. You can do alot with it really.

http://www.spamrecipes.net/
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I ate it all the time as a child. I probably haven't had it since I was 15 or so. It's got sort of a "bad reputaion" but really it's not bad. I think the worst thing about it is the gel stuff that is on it when you take it out of the can! It just looks gross, but you just wipe it off.

We always made it like the people above suggested. Just fried it up in a pan. My grandma would actually bread it in cracker crumbs and fry it up in butter. It was good that way. I haven't even thought about eating it in years, but I'm getting a strange craving now! LOL!

If you decide not to eat it or use it now, Save it as food storage or something. Or go give it to a food bank or a homeless shelter or something. Someone will eat it!

I'd give it a try though!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous