is 10 months too early to give baby whole milk?

my baby will be 11months old on the 3 of septmber. ive heard people say that you arent supposed to switch them whole milk until a year old.. but i was just wondering if its too early now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Aug. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To get my daughter used to whole milk, i would mix whole milk with formula. She loved it!! She was 10 months old as well. When she turned a year old, she no longer drank any formula. I had no problems weaning her off of formula.
    stampmama

Answer by stampmama at 11:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2008

• Yes - I would wait until at least a year.

Why would you want to give you child the milk that belongs to another baby?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2008

• I wouldn't switch her completely yet but all of my kids were drinking milk out of a cup by 9 months pretty regularly (maybe once a day or a few times a week). Not a lot--just a couple ounces. They loved milk and started drinking it out of my husband's cup (through a straw) when they were 7 months old.

The way I look at it--formula is a meal for infants. Milk is a drink so when they were having a solid meal they could have a small cup of milk (they didn't always drink it all). They still got their bottles of formula, too. By 11 months they were down to 1 or 2 bottles a day anyway.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:48 AM on Aug. 17, 2008

• until 12 months, formula or BM must be the main staple in a childs diet. AT 12 months gradually give your child cows milk if you are using formula. If BFing theres no need for cows milk when you have human milk to offer. Never give more than 16-24 oz of cows milk it can lead to anemia
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 17, 2008

• I'm sorry but I don't undstaand the earlier response "why would you want to give your child another babys milk"... could you further elaborate?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2008

• All mammals drink the milk of their mothers until they are weaned. Unlike all other mammals though, humans continue to drink milk after weaning and into adulthood, and not just that, we drink the milk of another species! To state the obvious (but often overlooked fact) cow’s milk has evolved to help turn a small calf into a cow in less than a year. That’s why cow’s milk contains around four times as much calcium as human milk. Calves need a huge amount of calcium to promote the massive level of skeletal growth required over the first year of life. A human infant does not require such high levels of calcium; indeed the high mineral content of cow’s milk puts a strain on the human infant kidney which is why most governments strongly recommend that children do not drink normal ‘off the shelf’ milk in the first year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2008

• I waited until 11 months to start the switch. I would mix formula and milk too. If you start slow I would bet she would be fine.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2008

• No it is not too soon. Both of my boys started drinking regular milk before they were 12 months. I asked my family dr if it was ok he said as long as it is nt cuasing them any problems then it should be fine. He told me that it isnt unusual for children to start drinkin milk early. So at 10 months old my oldest was drinkin reg milk and my younger son started drinking milk at 11 months old. My dr said it is actualy pretty good for them to want reg milk at an early age bc after a year some children have a hard time letting go of formula believe it or not.
    mandy2004

Answer by mandy2004 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2008

• It is not necessarily too soon, but I would consult with your doctor before you do so.
    InkedVixen

Answer by InkedVixen at 1:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2008

• they told me to start giving my son some about a month before his 1st birthday (in oct). he has had milk though and hasn't had any issues with it. i'm in no rush to start it though...
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 2:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2008