quick question for my 11 month old.

When are good times to give snacks? before or after lunch? and should it just be one snack a day and then just breakfast lunch n dinner or all three meals and 2 snacks a day.
i know it sounds stupid, i'm just wondering what other moms prefer and what method maybe nutrious and good for them

blueside22

Asked by blueside22 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's actually been shown to be far healthier to give six small meals per day as opposed to three large meals. Make the largest meal be breakfast, then after that just let them have some small, nutritious snacks the rest of the day.
    Anonymous

• At that age, I gave breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, snack (then bedtime a while later).

About the age of 18 months they stopped needing the before bed snack and then at about 2 we stopped the morning snack. Even my 5 year old still wants an afternoon snack though!

It's a judgment call on your part, really. It depends on how good/bad of an eater your baby/toddler is...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• it depends for us on what time breakfast was and how well he ate that.. ti it was an early breakfast or he didnt eat well we offer a morning snack, unless he wants a nap then tis just the bottle....

but he would eat all day long if i let him... if im hungry he ususally ends up eating most of what i intended to eat
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Hi, Here's what I do for my almost two year old. I keep a snack tray on the table. It's my muffin tray. There is a little nutritious treat per cup (I don't fill them all). These are things he can eat as much of as he wants. Celery, home made granola, carrots, hard boiled egg, pistachios, strawberries, raisons etc. I also have out a No Thank You dish on the table. What my son likes one day, he won't the next, and then he will again two days later. This way he is encouraged to try things of different tastes and textures, and he can say no thank you to a bite he doesn't care for that day. I encourage him to graze throughout the day and don't stick strictly to three meals a day. He's quite active. I did the grazing method when he was 11 months too. He's a tall, thin boy. My 3 month old daughter is lovely chubby baby. I plan to do the same for her when she's older, although every child is different.
    yalomsita

Answer by yalomsita at 2:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I always made three main meals about every four hours but had snacks about midway between meals.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2009