Uninvited kids barging into your home?

I work at home in order to be able to stay at home with my kids. I work for about 5-6 hours a day and start mid-morning, so I am done by about 3 in the afternoon.

The problem is I have 2 neighborhood kids that seem to think they can just barg into our home whenever my daughter is out playing. Today one boy knocked and came in and said his mom told him to come in my house and play, because she was busy. His sister came too, then when I told them no, I was working, they continued wandering around my house and getting toys out, this continued for over an hour even when i told them they had to go home, but could come back later.
I am getting interuppted too many times today, so just decided I would make it up tomorrow. My daughter loves being outside, and we have a large yard and I am able to see her while I work. What can I do in the future to prevent this from happening? Am I being mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would walk them back home and explain to the mom that you are a working mom, you are not a free babysitter and you do not need her kids constantly interrupting your work. I would also mention that it is very rude of her kids to just walk right into your house, and get into your things and ignore you when you tell them they have to go home. As a WAHM myself I have 'been there done that' and had to talk to 1 neighbor about her son. My kids liked this boy, so what I did was set up a time when he could come over and play. I told the mom that he was more than welcome to come over but it had to be after 4:30 (when my hubs was home to supervise). Maybe if you set up specific playdates/times that would help keep the interruptions to a minimum.
    Good luck - hope it works out!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Call the mom when her children come over. It isn't their fault poor kids. She is trying to get rid of them so she can do her own cleaning or whatever. Explain to her that even though her children are the dearest children around, that you have a home based job and cannot have other children around during that time.

Answer by Bmat at 2:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• You need to talk to the parents. Let them know you are working those hours and that their kids cannot come over to play then. If you are okay with them coming by later, let the parents know, but be sure to tell them that if the kids come over during your work hours you will be escorting them home (and follow through). You're really going to have to put your foot down with it or it may become a constant thing. Be nice, but be firm.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• No, you're not being mean. As uncomfortable as it may be...you might have to go over and talk to thier mom. Just let her know that you don't mind them coming over but you have to get work done.Tell her you will have your daughter call them to play as soon as you are done.Chances are thier mom doesn't know exactly what is going on.
    My son had a friend that would CONSTANTLY knock on our door,even after I told him my son couldn't come out right now.He would yell for him(my son was only 4-5 at the time,lol).I often wondered where the heck this kids mom was, eventually I just went over there and told her what was going on, she had no idea he was even out of thier yard,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I would let them know that you are not just a normal stay at home mom, but you are doing a pay job and cannot have them come over. You are not a community babysitter. Do they know you work?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• You let them in then complain? Lock the door if they just walk in...Or answer the doorbell and say no, you cannot play right now, and dont let them in...Tell them when it is ok to come back..if they keep botherig you then go talk to the parents.
    Anonymous

• Take them by the hand back to mom and tell her that though BillyBob is a charming young man, you work at home and he cannot come over to your home uninvited.

"If you are okay with them coming by later, let the parents know, but be sure to tell them that if the kids come over during your work hours you will be escorting them home (and follow through). You're really going to have to put your foot down with it or it may become a constant thing. Be nice, but be firm."

Yes, this.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I escorted the kids out of my home told them they could not come back for a day. Since it was obvious their parents were not teaching them any manners I did teach them how it was rude to simply come into someones home uninvited and that they had to ask before coming in. I never would have tolerated the kid for an hour then told him he could come back. You let him stay and have created this. It is an easy fix next time tell him to go and escort him out. Call his mom and let her know you are busy too and you really don't want the kids coming in your house uninvited. If she gets mad too bad.
    Anonymous

Sorry but it is rude to barge in uninvited even if the SAHM is not doing a work at home job. Not my job to watch anyone else's children.
    Anonymous

• No you aren't being mean. It is your house and you should not feel bad about telling people, yes even little kids, that they cannot just barge in your house. If I was you I would lock the door from now on so they can't just walk in. If they ring the doorbell or knock to come in, just politely tell them that you are busy and they can't come inside today. If it continues, talk to their parents. You are NOT a babysitter when their parents are "too busy" to look after their own kids, especially if they are just sending them over to your house without asking. Tell them you work from home and that you don't have time to watch their kids for them because you have a JOB at home.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2009