my 3 year old is 49 lbs and 42 in tall...should i put him on a diet?

he has always been in the 90th percentile since 2 months old. He eats healthy though but i see other 3 and 4 year olds even 5 year olds that are smaller than him.Any advice would be helpfull.

lisaandbrady

Asked by lisaandbrady at 2:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does he get enough exercise?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Have you talked to your pedi? That does seem pretty big for a 3 year old. I teach 2nd grade and that it bigger than some of my kids!!
    Anonymous

• My four year old was the same way. Even at three, she was tall enough that she was mistaken for an elementary student. She's slimmed down as she's continued to grow. She actually weighs less than she used to. I'd suggest that you just continue to make sure he's eating healthily and getting plenty of playtime exercise. I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. If it really bothers you though, ask your pediatrician.
    Happywith2girls

Answer by Happywith2girls at 2:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• At my son's 3yr checkup, he was 53lbs and 43in tall. I too was worried about his weight. But, my dr. assured me he was fine with proportional numbers in height/weight. My son has always eaten good and has plenty of exercise. My son is just one of those big kids. He's always been that way. My husband and I are not big at all, so we're shocked at his size. But, again, family and friends all agree that he looks fine and is very proportioned. I wouldn't worry.
    Anonymous

• he gets plenty of exersice and we have a pool so he gets water exersice as well. His pediatrician says he is just going to be a big boy. He eats lots of friuts and veggies. His father was 6'2 and im only 5'3 so maybe he will eventually slow his role,lol. Thanx for all the suggestions.
    lisaandbrady

Answer by lisaandbrady at 2:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• You can't only look at his weight, you have to consider his height as well.

My three year old is about the same height, but is only about 37lbs...I keep thinking I need to fatten him up! LOL If the pediatrician isn't worried and you know you're doing the best you can to make sure he has a balanced diet and is playing a lot (exercise) there isn't much you can do, really.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• As long as he is active, eats lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes, then don't worry about.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• My 3 year old is 42" tall and 30lbs so I'm guessing your kid must be pretty chunky because my guy is on the slim side but well within a healthy range. At that age you don't want to restrict food intake but make sure it's all healthy stuff he's eating. My guy eats a ton but it's almost all healthy stuff like loads of fruit, whole grain crackers with hummus, and nut butters. So long as they're eating the right stuff and getting enough exercise at that age they'll do fine. Just bring it up at the next appointment, see if there's anything else you should be doing. They may want to just check a couple of things like blood sugar and such, make sure that's all normal.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• more excercisr drink plenty of water eat fruits and vegetables
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• As long as he is getting enough exercise and eating healthy foods, his weight doesn't matter all that much. Dieting may just make him concerned about his weight.
    Jeanere

Answer by Jeanere at 6:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2009