how do you know if your crib mattress is safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Did you get used or something? What do you mean by safe?
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• op--------i guess the question should have been, how to tell if crib mattress is firm enough. yes it has been used.
    Anonymous

• I'm trying to be greener in my choices and one thing that I am really anal about is the crib mattress. I bought an organic crib mattress from www.daxstores.com. I also bought a wool pad to put on the mattress for catching leaks. They are more expensive than normal ones, but to me, it's worth it. We went with a cheaper crib from IKEA that had a good rating from Consumer Reports to offset the cost of the mattress. I read a book called Raising Baby Green by Alan Greene, M.D. and he talks about all the different toxic chemicals that are used in regular crib mattresses.

Here is an article about the different chemicals to be concerned about.
    http://www.healthychild.com/toxic-sleep/five-problems-with-baby-mattresses-toxic-chemicals/

Here is an article that talks about basic crib safety as far as firmness, etc.
    http://www.creative-baby-nursery-rooms.com/crib-mattress-safety.html

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I guess it would depend on the crib. The one we used for my son was a hand me down w/ a spring like bottom that the mattress sat on. It was not firm enough for the used mattress that came with it. We then bought a new mattress and it was fine. My daughters crib was new so we just moved the crib mattress over to hers. It had the round metal bars as a box spring. I would say put your child in the crib, if they don't stay put maybe replace? Depends on how old the child is.
    Anonymous